Do formulas used in blood stain pattern analysis also work for other fluids?

Cherry Tree

Hello,

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this...

Anyways, I recently read about blood stain pattern analysis and I was asking myself whether the formulas used there also apply to other fluids. More specifically, if one was to calculate the angle of impact of a bloodstain, one would measure the length and the width of the stain and then divide the width by the length and then take the sin-1 of it: sin-1 (w/l).

If one had a drop of water or let's say ketchup, would this formula still work? Water is less dense than blood and ketchup is more dense than blood, does that affect the way that stains form?

Thanks in advance :)

I'll give an opinion and some facts.

Blood is water and other things, but drops, flows, and splatters similar to water and other water based fluids. First, fluids are gases and liquids. I think you only meant to ask about liquids, because gasses don't act like blood (technical). Some oils, especially thin ones will drop similar to blood on some surfaces, but fall differently on water than blood. Moreover, thick oils, tars and waxes act much different than blood. I think that bounds your question a bit. I hope someone else will post.

Edited by EdEarl
Liquid crystals are different than blood. I don't know if they are a fluid.

Hi EdEarl,

Thanks for your answer. I was wondering if it would make sense to assume that liquids with a lower density than blood form longer stains (if length is a vertical measurement) because they are "runnier" and liquids that are denser than blood form wider stains (if width is a horizontal measurement) because they are "heavier" and don't flow that well? I hope what I said makes sense somehow

Edited by Cherry Tree