Device for measuring the amount of CO2 Gas in a liquid???

427cobra

Does anyone know where I can get a device which measures the amount of gas (CO2) in a liquid (Cola), or even if such a device exists at all???

Please see my other thread about my proposed science fair topic for other info on why I need this device, and hopefully you can answer my questions as well. :confused:

Thanks

there is a co2 test with limewater (calcium hydroxide), I don`t think it`ll give a quantitative analysis though, as the mass increase by the carbonate conversion would be really difficult to weigh without some REALLY expensive kit! perhaps a gas syringe would be better?

This isn't perfect, but if you have the option, you can put it in a sealed container and heat it to just under boiling, then measure the gas output. I think a beaker with a large stopper and a little bit of glass tubing going to an inverted graduated cylindar filled with water. The gas would leave and bubble up to the top of the cylindar and you can measure its volume under controlled temperature and pressure. This would measure all dissolved gasses, and you will get a little water vapor, but you can use a condenser to get that out I think (run it through copper tubing under ice water for an easy way). It also occurred to me you'd have to measure the volume inside the tubing.

Like I said, this may not be feasible, and some test strips may be the thing for you.

Well a pair on ion specific electrodes would be much cheeper then the gas-phase mass spectrometry, but still more expenisse then spamonkeys method. But if your looking for a probe like thing then thats what I would suggest.

~Scott