osmoregulation questions!!!!

beachbum

how does osmoregulation (the process) function in living osmoregulators and osmoconformers, and why is it important to these organisms? What factors affect osmoregulation other than salt/ solute concentration? oh.. and how does osmoregulation affect body volume? THANNKS!

how does osmoregulation (the process) function in living osmoregulators and osmoconformers, and why is it important to these organisms? What factors affect osmoregulation other than salt/ solute concentration? oh.. and how does osmoregulation affect body volume? THANNKS!

Basically, osmosis is an entropic effect.

Let's simplify the picture of osmosis.

Consider a semi-permeable membrane seperating two compartments of water, only one side has a solute which cannot penetrate this membrane, but water.

Generally speaking, the compartment with water plus solutes have more configurational entropy than the comparments of pure water, thus more water will stay in the compartment with the solute, whatever it is.

Osmosis is largely independent of the nature of the solute (salt, sugar, whatever), only the molar concentration of it. The more solute, the more water wants to stay there, and the larger volume and larger osmotic pressure it will have.

Regardless of whether he is or not it's hard to learn if you are just given all the answers to problems... and it's effectively impossible to understand unless you can work out the answer for yourself. Because of this we will help, but not always just give an answer straight out.

DQW are you the teacher of these kids?
Not in the sense that I think you are asking. If they come to this forum to learn, and I can help them do so repeatedly, then maybe I am their teacher, eh ?

In any case, I don't see what that has to do with :

(i) Giving (what I consider) good advice to students, (Heck, it's an internet forum! I can give any kind of advice - not that I intend to give "bad" advice - as long as I do not violate forum rules.)

(ii) Keeping with the spirit of Homework Help in this forum - that it is meant not for others to do your homework for you, but to help you along in your effort whenever you are stuck. IMO, you are doing a disservice (both to the OP, as well as to other classmates of the OP who have put in their time and effort into solving their own homework problems) by simply posting solutions to homework problems/projects.