Which science for conciousness?

Hi,

I was hoping people could give me thier opinions on whether science is capable of finding out what conciousness is.

I dont have a huge amount of knowledge in science but would like to study it next year at uni and was wondering if searching for conciousness through science was a dead end. Now it is just a matter of choosing which field to get into.

My own ponderings have taken me from physics and various theories of quantum conciousness which seems to be way above my head, to molecular biology and the chemistry of mind altering drugs like lsd.

It seems none of these fields focus heavily on conciousness. I noticed that Francis Crick moved away from molecular biology to neuro science and predicted that neuroscientists now have adequate tools to study the brain and hopefully find the mind - brain link.

In your opinion, which field of science has the potential to figure out conciousness? And what are some of the fields to look into?

Any opinions or thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I posted this in the general discussion too. Hope you dont mind :) Just incase neuros dont go there...

In your opinion, which field of science has the potential to figure out conciousness? And what are some of the fields to look into?

I'd say neuroscience is your best bet, though obviously not conclusive. I would keep a breast on all the latest neurological breakthroughs by regularly searching through google.

Consciousness has the tendency to fall into the pseudoscience category, so check out some of the posts there (with a pinch of salt) but you may find some useful links. Make sure the sources are viable, I for one look for anything that appears to be a breakthrough, or musings that raise more philosophical questions to conscious thought.

I have embarrassed myself a number of times by posting threads and ranting to my friends about consciousness, so try and consider all the facts (and sources) before writing essays on the subject. Hope this helps.

Onemind, if you haven't already done so, read The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bi-cameral Mind, by Julian Jaynes. He makes the radical claim, backed up by careful analysis, that humans only became conscious around 2,500 years ago. Despite the title, the book is surprisingly readable and certainly thought provoking.