Thought overcoming chemical inbalance

I'm not condoning anyone try this out as an experiment but I had a discussion with a friend about withdrawal from a psychoactive drug.

His argument was, that it was impossible to feel good from a withdrawal because the brain has a lack of seratonin / dopamine et.c, the brain has no capacity to feel good as it depends on these chemicals to induce well being. I don't want to go into too many specifics but this mainly concerns recreational mood enhancing drugs.

However (due to some research) I'm well aware when the withdrawal starts taking place and if I feel any change in my mood, my brain instantly thinks that it's just the withdrawal of the chemical and there is no rational reason why I should feel bad. There is nothing different from the day of withdrawal to the day before, there is nothing different in my situation to any other day, so I feel good, and I do feel 'good'.

Now what on earth is that ? How is it possible to always see 'outside' the way you feel when the very thing that constitutes your mood is completely diminished. You always hear phrases 'it's just the way you look at things' but if the very chemicals that govern a positive outlook are depleted significantly then surely you don't have the capacity to feel positive.

If the brain and all it's processes are what make you 'you', then what am I if I can cheat what my brain should be dictating. I'm not the only one I know who can do this successfully.

And I say it again I do not condone or encourage experimenting with chemicals, this is purely for debate.