Bigelow Aerospace

Pat Says

Has anyone ever heard of Bigelow Aerospace?

Here is a link to the site: http://www.bigelowaerospace.com

This would be so awesome... I hope he follows through with it. The guy has a lot of money (owns a hotel chain in Las Vegas) and he has wanted to do it since he was like 14 so he's in it because it's his dream (not saying he wont do it for the profit too:) ). Maybe some competition could start to arise between him and Richard Branson (Virgin Galactic... http://www.virgingalactic.com/en/ ). I think there are a few others too. One of these has to make it right? Unfortunately, I don't think NASA will push space enough... it's probably going to be up to the private companies with single goal ideas and more money. Bigelow is much more frugal too, which, NASA is not very much at all.

Oh there's quite a few startups jumping into the space tourism industry. Bigelow is actually one of the better known and his chances of success are much better than some of the real yahoos out there. Technically, his ideas are entirely workable. The concept of an inflatable space station module was originally designed by NASA, but dropped in favor of the current ISS model. NASA has provided limited technical assistance, basically their plans and studies on the technology.

I do have to question his business plan though. Just how big of a market exists for a space hotel? He plans on charging $1 million dollars a night!!!! He may have made a lot of money with his Vegas hotel chain, but he's not exactly Steve Wynn or Donald Trump. Bigelow's bread and butter is discount hotels. I wish him luck.

Speaking of yahoos, for a real treat check out AERA's website. They look to be a competitor to Virgin Galactic. If you aske me, they look like a ton of hype and no substance whatsoever.

http://www.aeraspace.com/home.html

• 2 weeks later...

I do have to question his business plan though. Just how big of a market exists for a space hotel? He plans on charging $1 million dollars a night!!!! He may have made a lot of money with his Vegas hotel chain, but he's not exactly Steve Wynn or Donald Trump. Bigelow's bread and butter is discount hotels. I wish him luck.

Hopefully his frugalness can overcome that :). As for the 1 million a night... I think people would try it.

and AERA does seem like all hype... it doesn't seem like they have put enough time into (only started in 2002) it.