New Diamagnetic Ideas?

Bismuth Power?

"Will the orienting of the electron dipoles in Bismuth (by, say, rapidly placing within, say, 1 mm of a strong magnetic pole) create a measurable amount of heat? I imagine you would have to measure it in a vacuum and neutral-G environment to be sure.

Also, would sheathing a bar magnet to the halfway point with a certain thickness (TBD) of Bismuth create a sort of monopole effect with the B measured off each pole showing disparity? If so, then you would (of course) have the makings of a weak space drive (against a planet's magnetic pole to a certain (TBD) distance outward). Spin the magnet-Bismuth combo to help avoid 'flipover.'

The above has been in the back of my mind since the 50's, and I never attempted experimentation of the above. Now I am old and expect to make no money from such conjectures-assertions as above, but do pass them on for others to try or contemplate. Think of above as simply inspirational idea-generators if they prove not to be true. (Negate the hypothesis, in other words.)" PS. My background is mechanical engineering. Terry

• 2 weeks later...
Bismuth Power?

"Will the orienting of the electron dipoles in Bismuth (by' date=' say, rapidly placing within, say, 1 mm of a strong magnetic pole) create a measurable amount of heat? I imagine you would have to measure it in a vacuum and neutral-G environment to be sure. [/quote']It will produce a tiny amount of heat, as spin relaxations are coupled to phononic modes. Will it be measurable...I think so.

Also, would sheathing a bar magnet to the halfway point with a certain thickness (TBD) of Bismuth create a sort of monopole effect with the B measured off each pole showing disparity? If so, then you would (of course) have the makings of a weak space drive (against a planet's magnetic pole to a certain (TBD) distance outward). Spin the magnet-Bismuth combo to help avoid 'flipover.'

The above has been in the back of my mind since the 50's, and I never attempted experimentation of the above. Now I am old and expect to make no money from such conjectures-assertions as above, but do pass them on for others to try or contemplate. Think of above as simply inspirational idea-generators if they prove not to be true. (Negate the hypothesis, in other words.)" PS. My background is mechanical engineering. Terry

The susceptibility of Bi is about -10^-4. It won't do jack.

You know you can have a diamagnetic susceptibility as large as -1 - with a superconductor. But even with that, you are not creating a monopole effect. You will merely be changing the geometry of the field lines, for instance, forcing them to turn more tightly inside the body of the magnet itself.

Thanks DOW for your input -- now what would happen if a 'dipole-thickness = to the length of the orienting dipole of Bismuth were miraculously applied to the end of one pole of a bar magnet? (Just thinking off the wall, here.) More later. I have to 'cogitate.'

Thanks DOW for your input -- now what would happen if a 'dipole-thickness = to the length of the orienting dipole of Bismuth were miraculously applied to the end of one pole of a bar magnet? (Just thinking off the wall, here.) More later. I have to 'cogitate.'
I don't understand what you mean by that, so it might take a picture to make your idea more clear; but here's what I have to say, nevertheless :

1. Why are you so hooked on Bi (yes it has a fairly high diamagnetic susceptibility compared to most elemental diamagnets, but it is still 4 orders of magnitude smaller than that of a superconductor) ?

2. Using even a "real monopole" (which will have a pole strength that's 4 orders of magnitude higher than anything that can be got from Bi shielding) from the best permanent magnets in existence (like an NdFeB magnet), the interaction energy with the terrestrial field (which is incredibly weak) is about 3 mJ/kg.

U(magnetic) = 0.003M J

U(grav) = Mgh = 9.8Mh J

Comparing the two, it looks like you can achieve a launch height of about 0.3 millimeters. This is 10,000 times higher than you can get with Bi, even if your shielding did create a mononpole effect.

So the idea is just not feasible.

Yes I realized it would be very weak and not practical -- just doing a 'thought' experiment (and I have a 1 lb chunk of Bismuth I've used as a paper weight for decades--;) ) I have always used such 'thought' experiments as idea generators in engineering...sort of like not thinking about the problem at hand (say, in engineering) to solve the problem at hand. Thanks, much.