Bèta 101 book tips

H Jansen

Greetings,

Ever since I started reading Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter my interest in logic, mathematics and physics has grown tremendously.
I stumbled upon this forum through a 'certain' search engine and thought this might just be the place to ask for some advice regarding scientific books.

I have not enjoyed any form of scientific education nor have I ever been in touch with it outside of my spare time. I have a somewhat basic knowledge of Mathematics (algebra, stochastic, euclid) and Philosophy (Kant, Nietzsche), but have yet to delve into the world of physics and logic. I would be delighted to find books that cover the basics of these disciplines.

Thus for my request:

Anyone care to share some titles on Physics, Mathematics and/or Logic? Preferably books that cover the fundamentals/basics yet still have a profound view of the subject.

I hope these words suffice. If not, I would be glad to answer any questions may they assist you in your response.

Many thanks in advance.

There is a lot of "pop-science" out there which gives you a flavour - but beware this is somewhat deceptive; it is ersatz and will not truly nourish.

If you are really interested I would recommend The Theoretical Minimum as a first stage - this is most definitely not pop-science; it is a primer to get you into the mood. I would then recommend Leonard Susskind's lecture series at Stamford - they are all online and make excellent viewing.

I would also want to recommend Walter Lewin's first year physics course from MIT online - but he was distanced under bad circumstances by MIT and I am not sure I would want to endorse his (amazing work) if some of the rumours I have heard are true. A strange quandary - a great educator but a hugely tarnished reputation and possibly worse. Some of the courses at edx.org and the other online universities are superb.

Book learning physics by oneself would be arduous and time-consuming; lectures and practice questions are the way to go