Genetically Modified Immune Cells

And, yeah, the nested genes is the reading frame overlap. For some viral genes, this can be over half the gene.
in that case, i agree -- nested genes are exquisit.
The RNases would degrade cellular RNA, but cells have RNase inhibitors, and besides, they're pumping out so much RNA anyway that the RNases would only cause a minor blip in cellular function.
hmm... i remain a tad scepticle on this point. what are you actually thinking will happen to the RNase? will the HIV capsid disolve once its bound to the VOD, thus exposing the HIV genome to the RNase? (in which case i suppose the RNA genome could be RNased with a relatively low level of RNase, which would reduce the impact on lymphocytes)

oh yeah, the VOD would have to have coresepters to initiate fusion with the gp120+ thingys*, which would strengthen their interference with the immune system cells.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

*ok, can some one please tell me what the collective plural for cells and virions is?

After the virion fuses with the VOD, it releases its genome, allowing the RNases in the VOD to attack the genome (see attached picture). As far as the RNases affecting living cells, RNases are everywhere (as anyone who has tried RNA isolations will attest). Your cells already have some RNase to provide turnover for mRNA, so that your cells don't keep producing the same protein.

Oh, and if you're interested, I can send you the textbook that I got the picture from (over AIM or something- about 144 Mb). It's a virus textbook and has more than you possibly want to know about viruses. Just install it and click on the 'server' file.

f059_008.jpg

ahh, i was thinking slightly down the wrong tracks...

yeah, that seems feasable. it wouldnt cure AIDS, but it could limit its spread as long as the CD4+ and corecepter of the VOD dont interfere with the immune system too much. One thing to bear in mind though, is the possibility that a lot of the pathogenicity of HIV possibly comes simply from the presence of gp120 being placed on the surface of the CD4+ cells, in which case the VOD could be as bad as HIV once theyve picked up the gp120 molecule (ill try and find a citation or two for that tomorrow)

you seem to know a bit about HIV, has anything like this been proposed/tried before? I'v never heard it sujjested before. I'll have a hunt for it, and any related research, on pubmed tomorrow.

Well, the problem with the heat thing is that it causes fatal metabolic problems before it causes DNA to denature. You start having fever problems (and yeast cells start dying) above 40 degrees. Your DNA doesn't start to really denature until about 60 degrees.
i missed this reply.

yeah, thats why i said for the gold to be in the nucleouse rather than in the cell, but i guess the transcriptional enzymes would experience the same problem :-( .

oh well... back to plan A :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, what about this...

About the whole gold thing, that Molekele talked about

Resonance frequencies don't just exist with gold, they exist with everything, therefore, what if we simply isolated the resonance frequency of gp-120 or any other distinguishing property, and then blasted ER at the person?

I just thought of a way to improve that...

What if we used the ER to shine inside, to light up the viral proteins, then we used quantum tunneling, to project the ER of the right frequency only at those viral proteins where they are located in the body.

BTW, quantum tunneling allows you to teleport energy through barriers, and so, perhaps we could aim it, without destroying much of the tissue of the uninfected material.

I believe the effects without quantum tunneling would be similar to radiation therapy for cancer patients. However, with the capacity to target viral proteins directly with quantum tunneling, it shouldn't be that big of a problem I think.

That's my opinion.