Bio-Chemistry

Doc Who (Jr)

I douldn't find a specific catergory for this, but i was wondering qwould this go under general biology?

neway when i'm outta skool i wanna do one of two careers Royal Navy or BioChemical Research, i've already had an interview with the carrers advisor at my skool, and i was wondering could neone here gimme a few pointers if they are in this profession? or know someone that is?

thanks ppl

hey,

there's actually a category called "Biochemistry/Genetic Engineering" (just above General Sciences in the forum index).

I'm currently an undergraduate biochemistry student and find it very interesting. I can't really tell you too much about the profession as I've had no first hand experience but you'll need a degree and possibly a PhD if you want to go far in teh field. As far as I can tell there's a few routes you can go down with a biochem degree. You could either go into academic research where often you'll be based in a university doing research to advance our knowledge in a particular area. An alternative is to work in industry for say, a biotech company or a drug company. These will often have a medical slant although not always, for example, you could work for some GM crop company or many other applications of biochemistry.

You could try checking out some universities and maybe emailing their biology departments to ask the lecturers what a career in biochemistry is like. Normally they're very friendly and happy to help :)

i kno. well he likes it i think. with his phd hes pretty high up in the company. made a few discoveries. i dont know if you guys know what they are, but he designs DNA probes. what they are are like markers that flouresce i beleive when they find a certain DNA or something. He says they can be used in like criminal cases where they can be used to find/identify certain dna. He invented the "eclipse" probes wich like saved his company. Im sure that there is allllloott of things you can do in the biochem field other than probes.

ah cool - interesting stuff :)

I'd be inclined to say that that would be molecular biology (as opposed to biochemistry) or at least something that'd be used by molecular biologists. Obviously I don't know what it's like to design such things and drawing distinctions between biochemistry and molecular biology isn't an easy thing to do so I should probably shut up ^_^.