Bodmas

YT2095

It's BIDMAS and I stands for indicies.... I dunno where the BODMAS version came from, nor what O stands for, but I believe BIDMAS is the proper version!

[edit]Or actually, thanks to http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Brackets Order Division Multiply Add Subtract

But that doesn't take into account indices, maybe that's why an original BODMAS was changed to BIDMAS, I'm not sure, but I know they both exist for real.

nope I was taught BODMAS (I still have my notes!) we were told to ignore the `O` as we`de never really need it in our class (GCSE pt.1).

secondly nested brackets with lower priority functions in them, in what order are they done?

Inside the brackets it always done first.

I think when we were told about BxDMAS where x is undefined the other version came out at the same time, probably a student said something, I've always been aware of both anyway..

you missunderstand me somehow?

I KNOW what BODMAS stands for (just wasn`t sure about the `O` bit).

so I`ll ask again... HOW does it work with nested brackets where they contain lower priority functions?

Well, one of is missing something!

Stuff inside the brackets it ALWAYS first.

So with:

5 x (1 x (2 + 2))

You'd do the

(1 x (2 + 2))

first because it's in brackets, but we've got another set of brackets, so we do that first.

(2 + 2) = 4

then the

1 x 4 = 4

Then the

5 x 4 = 20

Brackets within brackets with lower priority..... whatever, stuff inside brackets is first, if there's brackets within the brackets they take priority within the outer brackets. Once you take a set of brackets with stuff inside you are taking a set part of an equation, or formulae, or expression, and then within that standard BIDMAS rules still apply, so brackets will always take priority, BIDMAS doesn't break down, even within a set of brackets.

you bet I beat you BenSon ;)

aight, here we go

BIMDAS

2/(3x4+(2-1))

Brackets

2/(12+(1)

2/(13)

Indicies none

Multiplication none

Division

= .1538 ect

done

What the problem is? :confused:

~Scott

Edit: Damn 5614(?) beat me to it :rolleyes:

I dont think so... 'two thirds of four' would be

2/3 * 4

BIMDAS

Multiplication

8/3

Division

=2.66666 ect :)

~Scott

2 thirds of 4 would be 4 split equaly into 3 parts, and then 2 of those 3 parts added together (or times by 2,same thing). surely?

2 thirds of 4 would be 4 split equaly into 3 parts, and then 2 of those 3 parts added together (or times by 2,same thing). surely?

Well yeah, you get the same answer but isn't this about the order in which it is ment to be done. If you do it your way its like saying

Brackets

Division

Multiplication

Division

Addition

Subtraction

Your way has dicision twice mine only once...

~Scott

NO!!!!!!!!!!

my working out was for the `O` bit of BODMAS, if you like a Subsection of the whole, that`s just the way I work out fractions, that`s all :)

as for the nested brackets I understand it now, I just wasn`t sure.

it may be simple to all you math genius types, and mine may seem a stupid question, but we`re not ALL Born knowing it all!

NO!!!!!!!!!!

my working out was for the `O` bit of BODMAS, if you like a Subsection of the whole, that`s just the way I work out fractions, that`s all :)

as for the nested brackets I understand it now, I just wasn`t sure.

it may be simple to all you math genius types, and mine may seem a stupid question, but we`re not ALL Born knowing it all!

Yt needs the blue pills now ;)

I'm not saying your maths is wrong what i ment was the 'O' in BODMAS is superfluous, if the O mean of as in fractions then its no diferent to division.

example, (2/3) two on three, fraction

2 (divided sign) 3

They mean the same thing so BODMAS is like

Brackets, division, mutiplication, division, ect

~Scott

You agree that fractions are like division.... so one half is 1 divided by 2.

So you cant have division in two places like you do in BODMAS, even if you do call it something.... just use BIDMAS ;)

And don't worry about not knowing maths! I understand little of the mathematical side of physics, but there's time to learn (no matter what age you are), but only if you want to, which you seemingly do, hence you asked the question here, don't be embarassed (or whatever) when you are learning, everyone has to do it at some point, or, well, they could just remain without the knowledge, but we're (SFN people) not normally like that!

You agree that fractions are like division.... so one half is 1 divided by 2.

So you cant have division in two places like you do in BODMAS, even if you do call it something.... just use BIDMAS

Your almost right

:mad:ITS BIMDAS !!! :mad:

....Ok maybe i need the blue pills :D....

~Scott

Seemingly from matt grime's explanation 'of' is the same as division. But then division would come twice, BODMAS, and that doesn't include indicies anyway, so BIDMAS not only includes indicies, which makes it 'better' than BODMAS, it also cancels out the fact that the O and the D in BODMAS seem to mean the same thing.

I mean using BODMAS as I was taught in class, the `O` part is OF. so it`s LIKE Division but specificly for Fractions, that covers the BO part.

then next we encounter normal division (the D part) and the rest is easy.

btw, I`m seconds away from regreting that I asked about it :(