Audio Enhancements

Do programs such as the plug-ins offered here: http://www.wmplugins.com actually boost audio performance in windows media player (WMP)?

I mean, WMP has it all built in... click view>enhancements>show enhancements and you can edit TruBass, WOW effect, crossfading, auto volume level, you've got a grahics equaliser, balance and speed settings (you can play songs up to 1/2 or 2x normal speed!) as well as alter the difference between loud and soft music.

[i'm using WMP v10.00.00.3646 just in case you wondered]

Do these plug-ins (which you normally have to pay for) really do more than these in built enhancements and if so, why couldn't MS build it into WMP in the first place?

I mean, I can already set soo much bass that my speakers can't handle it! The graphics equliser is totaly sufficient, all these payed for plug-ins offer the same stuff, I just can't believe it's any better, but if that's so, how can they make profit so they're worth making and marketting?

Probably not - I suspect most of them are going to be pretty GUIs that allow people to set things up easily. Most of those things are fairly useless. A simple software EQ is pretty much all you need.

• 2 weeks later...
A simple software EQ is pretty much all you need.

OK, now the thing is that I can (by experiment) work out what the graphics equaliser does, but what is the best setting for a good bass sound? (without the speakers peaking too much!)

I use this:

gfxequaliser.jpg

At the moment as it is the recommended setting for 'Rock' music (in WMP)... but surely you'd want a higher level for the lower sounds?

In fact playing with it now this:

gfxequaliser2.bmp

Seems to make the bass a bit stronger.

If you want stronger bass, then pump up the sliders to the left. Louder treble, you use the ones to the right. Mid-range is obviously in the middle.

You'll find that the quality you get varies from song to song. Whilst one EQ setting might make one song sound particularly good, another might sound absolutely awful. I use iTunes with the Rock setting on permentently. I have it set up so that certain songs are played with certain EQ settings though (for example, my classical music) - pretty cool feature in iTunes :)

Yep, with my TruBass and WOW Effects turned up fairly high if I put the EQ on a high bass setting then some songs which are naturally bass-y will make the speakers peak a lot which sounds bad, guess it's just trial and error really (and getting the best balance).