sorry for digging up this old topic..
I just made my first concetrated sulfuric acid from car battery fluid.
I condacted the experiment outside but during the process and just about before the fumes turn white i sensed a weird burn in my nose and my throat and i started coughing for 5minutes.
I was 5-6m away from the boiling mixture !
Does anyone know what is the white smoke that come out when you boil H2SO4 ?
Is there a way to prevent the release of fumes into the atmosphere... by bubbling the fumes through a NaOH solution for example ?
I also threw some Copper into concentrated H2SO4 but i didnt get the blue color that you get when you add copper into HNO3.
Why so ? does anyone know ?
H2SO4 cant oxidise copper ?