Velocity of a turkey

Acamas

I found this video on the internet where they took a car airbag and put it under a turkey. When he set off the airbag, it shot the turkey at such a velocity that it broke the table that it was sitting on. My question is, how much force was applied to the table? Just to fill in a variable, lets just say that the turkey was 15 pounds. Here is the video that shows him getting the airbag and setting it up and the aftermath.

Is there even a way to calculate this? I mean you would have to account for the force that was put into the turkey, and to do that you need to know how far and how fast the turkey traveled right? I would assume that your using the average 2.5 cubic foot air bag from the driver's seat, which fills up in about 20 - 30 milliseconds. So let's say it took 25 milliseconds to fill up. The pressure inside the airbag would have been 5psi at most. Now you should know that it fills with nitrogen gas, not oxygen. So assuming the turkey didn't launch until it was at 5 psi (highly-unlikely). So it expands to 2.5 cubic feet in 25 milliseconds. So lets assume its a sphere, it moves 1.68 feet in 25 milliseconds, which is 6.72 feet per second, which means it's moving at 4.5 miles per hour( I may have made a math mistake there, I got 13 mph at first). So it's hitting the turkey at 4.5 mph, so considering newton's 2nd law, the counterforce is what is exerted on the table. Someone else do that math.

Is there even a way to calculate this? I mean you would have to account for the force that was put into the turkey, and to do that you need to know how far and how fast the turkey traveled right? I would assume that your using the average 2.5 cubic foot air bag from the driver's seat, which fills up in about 20 - 30 milliseconds. So let's say it took 25 milliseconds to fill up. The pressure inside the airbag would have been 5psi at most. Now you should know that it fills with nitrogen gas, not oxygen. So assuming the turkey didn't launch until it was at 5 psi (highly-unlikely). So it expands to 2.5 cubic feet in 25 milliseconds. So lets assume its a sphere, it moves 1.68 feet in 25 milliseconds, which is 6.72 feet per second, which means it's moving at 4.5 miles per hour( I may have made a math mistake there, I got 13 mph at first). So it's hitting the turkey at 4.5 mph, so considering newton's 2nd law, the counterforce is what is exerted on the table. Someone else do that math.

I will do some more research into the care that they got the airbag from to see the specs on the airbag. I would assume that the airbag would have a small moment when the PSI would be immense because if the turkey. And tonight I will look to see the final dimenssions of the airbag.

I will do some more research into the care that they got the airbag from to see the specs on the airbag. I would assume that the airbag would have a small moment when the PSI would be immense because if the turkey. And tonight I will look to see the final dimenssions of the airbag.

I don't think the turkey would have made much of a difference. The reason is that airbags are deflating as soon as they start to fill. The high the PSI the faster they deflate, so the PSI should have only topped at about 5. They designed it like this so that if your in an accident, its not like getting hit in the face with a brick.

I don't think the turkey would have made much of a difference. The reason is that airbags are deflating as soon as they start to fill. The high the PSI the faster they deflate, so the PSI should have only topped at about 5. They designed it like this so that if your in an accident, its not like getting hit in the face with a brick.

but with the airbag sitting right under it, how would it have enough ventilation to get rid of that amount CFM

Wait what?

The airbag had no room to open before it hit the turkey. So how would it be able to get the large amount of CFM out through the sides of the airbag case? By that i mean the box that the airbag was made in.

Edited by Acamas