Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy

freakJoe

Hi,

i would like to know more about practical NMR spectroscopy...

Please correct me in places where i am wrong...

People who are measuring their samples in spectrometers use Bruker Topspin software, they put sample into the magnet, when it is inside, they use command LOCK for locking the magnetic field for the current sample (try to make it stable and homogenous?), then TUNE for "tuning and matching for ATM probeheads" - what does it mean? Then, SHIMMING (again about homogenity of magnetic field, something about gradients?), they set parameters like o1p (expected position of the signal), sw spectral width - from which nr to which nr of frequency we can observe the window, ns number of scans - what does i means in details? then, GAIN adjusting receiver gain "performs acquisition with varying receiver gain RG and finally sets this just below the value where no digitizer overflow occurs" - what does it mean? what is acquisition? and GO starts acquisition. When measurement is finished, we use Furier Transform to transform the spectrum from the time domain to frequency domain...

Edited by freak90

The lock keeps the field from drifting by examining the signal from the deuterium in the solvent.. Shimming makes the field more homogeneous using small changes in the magnetic field along certain axes, such as the z axis. Tune means the same thing as tuning your radio (improved S/N). Gain refers to how much amplification a signal receives. I suggest a good book like Fukushima and Roeder's "The Nuts and Bolts of NMR."