Can money cure cancer?

Vexen

I recently had a conversation with a person who expressed that wealthy people are "immune" to many life threatening diseases. My antagonist used Steve Jobs as an example. He said that Steve Jobs could have survived if he used his wealth to gain proper treatment.

Personally, I think money cannot guarantee your "immunity" against life threatening diseases as medicine has not advanced to that stage.

What do you think?

It can help. Delays don't happen, treatments are all in consideration, checks are more frequent than necessary.

The stupidly rich can invest in research in areas that they are likely to suffer from. One of the Google founders has a parent with a particularly nasty neurological disease - and is now the largest funder of research in this particular area. It might initially seem a little selfish to some people but it is still a far far better use of money than buying a super-yacht or a jet. Personally I think it is a great thing to do - not only will the researchers get the cash (which is always useful) they get a ready made multi-disciplinary agent to aid their search; it is always useful to have educated but external involved parties - and when one of them has already shown themselves to be a fairly nifty innovator ...