Medical student on microbiology

Greetings to everybody,

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Rodrigo, im from Peru, im currently going through my fourth year of medicine career. I have taken a microbiology course in which I have learned a lot of methods with agar plates to differentiate a wide range of microorganisms. Since i find this truly interesting, i was questioning myself what kind of investigations could i possibly do with this materials at my disposal. For example, having made some research in pubmed, i have found that usually they try to evaluate bacterial resistant to antibiotics with lets say disc difussion methods, etc. Nonetheless, i was wondering if you guys knew about some other type of investigation or subject that you could also do with agar plates and cultures. As a matter of fact, the only thing that is in my mind right now is this bacterial sensitivity subject, i cant seem to find another way to use agar plates.

I will appreciate any help you can provide!

Rodrigo

Edited by RodrigoCF

You can use different agar plates for isolating well known, and of course unknown bacteria. Than, after you obtain a clean-isolated colonies you can start working with them (e.g: Gram-staining, performing biochemical tests, picking colonies for MS analysis, etc...).