Drop Tube Elements

Enthalpy

Despite their low relative speed, the experiment needs vacuum in the bubble to achieve a good microgravity. Not air drag makes parasitic forces here, but buoyancy. I give here illustrative figures with the usual 1Pa residual pressure and a 4m*D1m experiment shell in a 5m*D2m vacuum bubble.

The drag compensation engine can apply 300N briefly on the 100kg vacuum bubble. The resulting air pressure gradient, 37µPa/m, exerts 0.1mN on the 200kg experiment, or 0.06*10-6g.

The bungees bring 54m/s within 10m, that's over 15g at the peak - nobody expects microgravity then - and buoyancy pushes with 6mN. The pressure gradient then oscillates with 30ms period. One acoustic damping time (0.1s?) reduces the effect to 1*10-6g.

Each opposing pair of guiding rolls needs a viscoelastic damper: polyurethane, Viton... If the suspension oscillates at 5Hz and the track is straight within 5mm peak, the resulting 5m/s2 produces 0.07mN or 0.1*10-6g.

The same side movements result in 0.2m/s air speed, in which Cx=0.4 creates only 0.3µN.

The vacuum bubble operates hence at a residual pressure similar to a vacuum tube, but is much smaller, so the vacuum is achieved faster, more easily, and can improve further for better microgravity.

A thought for my father.
Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

I was just thinking about reusing already made hole for mine's elevator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Gravity_Research_Facility

I don't see any water.

Hole should be properly sealed from either side.

While neither Wiki nor Nasa claim the hole at Glenn facility was previously a mine shaft, it's clear that water leaks are the same difficulty, whatever the bore was initially intended for.

At Nasa's Glenn center, the hole is fully cemented - and within the concrete walls, a steel tube is airtight. I'm not convinced that mine shafts are cemented: since the mines themselves are not, miners have to pump the water out anyway, so I suppose they leave the shaft naked as well where the materials are sound enough.

Reusing a mine shaft would imply to dry it first, and then either continue to pump water out permanently, or cement the walls and the bottom. Nothing tragic, but it's a cost. For me, the true benefit would be the bigger depth if available, as 600m depth double the fall time over 150m height.

Both a tower and a bore can host the vacuum bubble option, which can retrofit an existing drop tube.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopping the shuttle with bungees permits to start a new flight immediately, but is difficult to design and bring to run, much so because the behaviour of reused parts during a 180km/h contact is hard to imagine, as I know from crash-test hardware at 120km/h. Since immediate restart is a compelling advantage for a drop tube but is a design risk, I believe the designs should be tried and improved in a tight iterative process before the costly vertical tower is built and freezes to the propulsion and vacuum options.

I propose to test horizontally the shuttle's propulsion and stopping, on a purposely built short track with one catapult-brake at each end. Beyond the sketched parts, the trial track needs bunkers at least around each end, fast video, data acquisition and more.

post-53915-0-19752300-1417549914.png

Much can be tested, repetitively, not necessarily everything nor at the same time:

• Propulsion and stopping. Bungees' behaviour, adjustment, (not sketched) setting drive.
  • (Not sketched) the rake and the rewind drive.
  • The railway, wheels, suspension.
  • The vacuum bubble and its seals.
  • The drag compensation engine and its control, with a track long enough.

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy