Magnet through a copper coil - What if poles rotated 90 degress

jtotheroc

I was wondering what voltage or current, if any, would be produced if the basic magnet through a copper coil experiment had the poles rotated 90 degress so north and south faced the top/bottom of the coil rather than the entry/exit points?

The attached image has a baic illustration of this.

Thanks

post-86093-0-35220700-1360009525.jpg

To give specific numbers you'd have to know the field B(x,y,z) that the magnet produces. I don't think the outcome of the experiment would be too different - you should get an induced EMF in the coil.

EDIT: This is wrong - ignore.

Edited by elfmotat

To give specific numbers you'd have to know the field B(x,y,z) that the magnet produces. I don't think the outcome of the experiment would be too different - you should get an induced EMF in the coil.

Thanks very much for your input. I have posted this question to another forum and got an opposite response written below. What are your thoughts on the below out of interest?

Cheers

"In that case, by simmetry, if you take any loop of the coil, for every

field line that goes through it, if it goes to the negative pole, there

must be another simetrical that comes from the positive, so the total

flux will be 0, and constant, so there will be no current induced."

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/53078/basic-magnet-through-a-copper-coil-experiment-what-if-poles-were-rotated-90-de

Edited by jtotheroc

Thanks very much for your input. I have posted this question to another forum and got an opposite response written below. What are your thoughts on the below out of interest?

Cheers

"In that case, by simmetry, if you take any loop of the coil, for every

field line that goes through it, if it goes to the negative pole, there

must be another simetrical that comes from the positive, so the total

flux will be 0, and constant, so there will be no current induced."

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/53078/basic-magnet-through-a-copper-coil-experiment-what-if-poles-were-rotated-90-de

The other person is right - I didn't give it enough thought. The change in flux in the first scenario comes from the fact that the field in the cross-section of the coil is gradually decreasing, where in the second scenario the total flux through the cross section shouldn't change. So you shouldn't get any EMF.

Essentially zero effect when the magnet is rotated as on the second drawing.

Up to the precision of the angle between the magnet's and the coil's orientations, and secondary effects like eddy currents induced in the thickness of the wire.