I need suggestion regarding my master thesis topic

fiz

I have searched alot but nothing good coming up. My specialization area is Software engineering. i am interesting in Database, Object oriented anaylsis and Design , software engineering and HCI.

Plz help to decide the topic

Thanks in Advance !!!

Isn't this something you should be discussing with your thesis advisor? I mean not to put off your question, but that's what they're for - to make sure the thesis topic you choose for your graduate work is applicable to the topic, your area of study, and will be accepted by whatever group reviews these things.

I agree with Greg H. that you should discuss this at your school first. You have a study advisor or something that can help you with this. Also, I'm sure a bunch of professors will have research topics that they can use some help with. Master Thesis students are just assistants to such a professor, and generally speaking they love to get some help. It also means that your project fits into a larger research topic, and might actually be relevant to the overall project.

But if you have to do it all by yourself, ask yourself: What kind of work would you like to do after graduation? What company would you like to work for? And what would be a typical project that you could do at such a company that would conveniently have the duration of half your final thesis?

(Why half the duration? Because the other half will be used for problem definition, getting started, writing a report, and a lot of unforeseen problems).

U might like

OWL 2 Web Ontology Language

. It's about noting knowledge.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/

Interesting topics to me is automatic algorithm construction, but includes investigating constructive logic and theorem proving that is not completely standardized yet. So many distributed chaotic documentation, count on loosing many time to get the picture (took years for uneducated person as I was). However, it can be applied to ontology manipulation afterwards. Algorithms (which can be related to proofs) can be represented by systematic transformation of ontologies which are really just systems of data variables.

Expect horrible time with documentation if U choose this one.

Good luck, whatever U choose :)

Oh, silly me, I thought it's a coledge work, I'm not familiar to foreign school systems, i should check next time.

Yes, a school teacher mentor might be a great idea. Try to check just OWL2 with that person of trust. It is pretty simple to investigate and it is blazing up-to-date technology proposed by internet standards consortium.

Sorry for mistake :}

I (and other people) would badly need one piece of software, but maybe it's too easy for you... One that tells if a particular application can run on a particular OS - which means in essence, if the desired entry points can be made available to this application.

This would be useful for drivers as well as applications; it often happens that they're tested only on recent OS but are able to run on older ones - or that the editor or distributor claims a wrong compatibility. This software would be good for programmers as well, as they would get an opinion about their product's compatibility, and maybe hints to enlarge its compatibility.

Optionally, it would be great if the software could make an opinion right by checking the application's installer, instead of the installed application. Not absolutely necessary. And one more difficulty is that some installers choose the files according to the current machine - or even, some applications test what OS they're presently running on, to call only the available entries. You also have for instance nVidia drivers officially meant for W2k that bring a good video driver but install a PhysX that doesn't work. Also seen: the application would work but its installer doesn't. I believe diagnostic failure is acceptable in such cases.

Similar ones exist, but not the one I need. Most check if the application's function calls match the ones available in the current OS, but:

- I want to check from my online W2k or Xp if the application will run on my offline Win95, for instance;

- If just an update of DotNet or a runtime is needed, I want the software to tell me that, instead of "not presently available";

so this software should compare the desired entries with a knowledge base, not with the presently installed OS.

In case of incompatibility, the number of missing entries tends to be fairly large, so I wouldn't like a complete list of them, but instead a synthetic answer, like: "the minimum is Win98 or W2k because dX9.0c is needed" or "on this current Xp yes, provided you add DotNet 3.5". To make it slightly more subtle, different updates or add-ons can bring the same functions, for instance ie5.50 brings to Win95 a vast collection of individually available updates. Maybe the user could tell more precisely what already composes his target OS to get an incremental answer, or the software may ask "will you put ie5.50?".

I'd like easily read and modified knowledge bases, like one text file for each OS and update module, to tell what entries are available and what modules are possible, because:

- This software must evolve a lot over time;

- Experience tells some modules run perfectly on OS not officially compatible, so the user should be able to update that;

- Sometimes, users port libraries not initially meant for one particular target...

- The same software may be useful for Linux, Mac... and easy data format would help to port it.

Such knowledge bases would better be created automatically, though hand editable.

This project is simple, but less so than it looks, and demands several months to one person.

If you want to write this software, thanks in advance!

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this something you should be discussing with your thesis advisor? I mean not to put off your question, but that's what they're for - to make sure the thesis topic you choose for your graduate work is applicable to the topic, your area of study, and will be accepted by whatever group reviews these things.

thanks!!!

I (and other people) would badly need one piece of software, but maybe it's too easy for you... One that tells if a particular application can run on a particular OS - which means in essence, if the desired entry points can be made available to this application.

This would be useful for drivers as well as applications; it often happens that they're tested only on recent OS but are able to run on older ones - or that the editor or distributor claims a wrong compatibility. This software would be good for programmers as well, as they would get an opinion about their product's compatibility, and maybe hints to enlarge its compatibility.

Optionally, it would be great if the software could make an opinion right by checking the application's installer, instead of the installed application. Not absolutely necessary. And one more difficulty is that some installers choose the files according to the current machine - or even, some applications test what OS they're presently running on, to call only the available entries. You also have for instance nVidia drivers officially meant for W2k that bring a good video driver but install a PhysX that doesn't work. Also seen: the application would work but its installer doesn't. I believe diagnostic failure is acceptable in such cases.

Similar ones exist, but not the one I need. Most check if the application's function calls match the ones available in the current OS, but:

- I want to check from my online W2k or Xp if the application will run on my offline Win95, for instance;

- If just an update of DotNet or a runtime is needed, I want the software to tell me that, instead of "not presently available";

so this software should compare the desired entries with a knowledge base, not with the presently installed OS.

In case of incompatibility, the number of missing entries tends to be fairly large, so I wouldn't like a complete list of them, but instead a synthetic answer, like: "the minimum is Win98 or W2k because dX9.0c is needed" or "on this current Xp yes, provided you add DotNet 3.5". To make it slightly more subtle, different updates or add-ons can bring the same functions, for instance ie5.50 brings to Win95 a vast collection of individually available updates. Maybe the user could tell more precisely what already composes his target OS to get an incremental answer, or the software may ask "will you put ie5.50?".

I'd like easily read and modified knowledge bases, like one text file for each OS and update module, to tell what entries are available and what modules are possible, because:

- This software must evolve a lot over time;

- Experience tells some modules run perfectly on OS not officially compatible, so the user should be able to update that;

- Sometimes, users port libraries not initially meant for one particular target...

- The same software may be useful for Linux, Mac... and easy data format would help to port it.

Such knowledge bases would better be created automatically, though hand editable.

This project is simple, but less so than it looks, and demands several months to one person.

If you want to write this software, thanks in advance!

thank u :)

• 1 year later...

The software I suggested in message #5 would also be interesting for developers to include in their installers or executables, examples:

For Windows, MS recommends that applications bring all the necessary runtimes, but this isn't always done, as for instance DotNet is large. Typically, applications fail in silence if such a runtime is missing, exactly what isn't desired. A standard checking routine, included in the installer, that includes knowledge of the runtimes available when the application was compiled, could tell the user "this application will run, once you add CPP 2010 redistributable on your machine".

Determining what runtimes a new application requires demands a large knowledge; the checking routine would include in each application the best available knowledge and linder the developer's task.

More and more (free) applications are made portable, that is, the executable set of files can run on a machine without installation. Especially to such executables, a clever checking routine included in the executable would be useful, since no installer checks the available modules. Consider in particular all interface libraries that let Linux programmes run on Windows.

Sometimes, users put compatibility add-ons near the executables. Then the library functions can be available but not in the expected file. A compatibility checker clever enough for that case would be nice.

I'd to insist on synthetic answers from this software or routine. "Please add Dotnet 3.5sp1" or "This application won't run on 98se, it demands Xp sp3" is exploitable by the user, "entry point gkylnsjI_uc is missing in cktbnf32.dll" is not.