Can a vacuum be stretched?

aommaster

This is a question from my friend. We were having a debate about it in school. My friend was giving a speech about it. He said that a vacuum can be stretched.

I countered it by telling him that there is basically no matter to be stretched, so how can it strectch. I also added that a vauum can spread. For example, if a vacuum was put in a syringe, you can pull the plunger part of it and the vacuum will spread.

Can anyone shine some light on this?

the Tor value can be altered in a "vacuum" certainly.

but a perfect vacuum couldn`t actualy exist other than on paper, due to the vapor pressures on that ever material were to try and contain it :)

a vacuum IS.

it`s really as black and white as that :)

a low pressure area can be manipulated in higher pressure ares within the confines of it`s zone, but it`s not a true vacuum, it`s only an area of low pressure :)

AOM, yeah man, get that sucker pinned down 1`st :)

I thought it was implied he's talking about a hypothetical true vacuum, in which case it has a boundary. "Stretching" is simply a poor use of words.

if by "Hypothetical" you mean on paper, then sure, it can be any shape you want. In REAL terms though, it could not exist above fractions of a second depending upon it size in space, IE/ 1 light year across sperical, would take .5 of a year to fill, and then cause all manor of problems as it reached the center! :))

I think you're overcomplicating things.

If you say "there's no such thing as a vacuum" and instead start talking about filling volumes or what have you, then you no longer addressing the original question.

if he`s to win this debate, then all facts must be known :)

he should counter with there is no such thing (as I`ve stated) and follow up with containerised low pressure can be manipulated (as I`ve stated).

he needs to define his argument correctly 1`st (we`de established that).

you mentioned "Hypothetical" as opposed to "True" vacuum, I responded with same as I`de already stated, "it will work on paper" :)

because the question itself is invalid by it`s nature, and so TRUE deffinitions must be sought firstly, because without comonality in this area, there can be no debate.

I pointed out a few potential flaws of incongruity in the original arg and provided reasons as to why it was such.

from this basis, AOM is now armed with extra data with which he may share with his opponant in debate and then discuss on the same level ov understanding :)

or withhold this information and totaly destroy him in the debate class, that`s his personal choice :)

hehehehehehe getting angry`s a good motivator, let him be mad, then kick some butt in his debate class, he`ll have us pair to thank then :)

[edit] I just realised something, what the hell am I doing in the "Quantum Mechanics" area!??? ROFLOL :)

If you look at a quantum vacuum, the space between an electron in its orbital shell and the proton, then the space or vacuum can be compressed as in a neutron star by gravity. That is if you equate space and vacuum. If it can be compressed than why not stretched?

Just aman