the circulatory system of lungless amphibians

atramencik

I'd like to know, how is the circulatory system of lungless amphibias like. Perhaps anybody knows or could give me an adress of website, where I can find it?

Almost all of the amphibians have got three circulations - the big, the small (lungs) and the skin-circulation. Thanks to that, the blood, which flows to all of the tissues, bring the oxygen.

The third circulation begins with the small circulation (the lung-artery) and finishes with the big (the main vein). But the lungless amphibians haven't got lungs, so, I think, they haven't also the small circulation (or it is reduced, I don't know). How do they it, I mean, how the blood without oxygen flows to the skin and then, already with oxygen, through the heart, flows to the tissues? How is the heart like? How many circulations have they?

Please, help me :confused:

there is a picture here that will help you visualize it. Basically, capillary beds in the lungs and skin lead to veins that join together and enter the heart. The heart then pumps the oxygenated blood from these two oxygenation sources to the capillary beds of the body (or systemic capillaries as they're called in the picture). These then lead back to the heart, which pumps the now de-oxygenated blood back to the skin and lungs. Amphibians only have a three chambered heart, so there is some mixing of oxygenated and de-oxygenated blood there.

Thank you, but I know... - it is about all amphibians... (And I think (it is in my book), that the skin capillaries join not with the lung vein but with the main vein...)

My problem is, how is the cardiovascular system of lungless amphibians like.

:(

And one more thing - I mean, the fishes have got Single Loop Circulation, almost all of Amphibians have Double Loop Circulation. And the lungless?

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine that the overall pattern is the same, one loop going through the oxygenation organ, be it the skin or lungs or both, and the other loop going through the systemic capillaries. I'm pretty sure that the double loop and three chambered heart is a defining feature of all amphibians.

I'm not convinced... I've read somewhere,that their septum (or how is its name) between atriums is reduced... That's strange...

Are you possibly thinking of reptiles? They also have a three chambered heart, but with a partial septum dividing the ventricle, which helps to keep the oxygenated and de-oxygenated blood separate. But both reptiles and amphibians have two completely separate atriums.