Open vs Closed system

ski_power

What do you think about an open system and a closed system a.k.a. a PC and a Console, and which would you prefer to develop on?

I personally think that closed system would be best as there would be no compatibility issues and since the OS footprint is so small as compared to a PC so all resources can be dedicated to the application ie game. And due to the nature of a closed system, better looking game (graphics, textures, AA, effects) can be made as compared to games on PC that have a higher system requirement.

What do you mean by open/closed?

FYI a PC is an archetecture, x86. A PC can neither be open source/closed

A consol can be an access to a computer that lets you type commands and see the results or it can be a gamming platform (like the ps2) A consol can be EITHER open/closed.

WTF are you talking about?

What do you mean by open/closed?

FYI a PC is an archetecture' date=' x86. A PC can neither be open source/closed

A consol can be an access to a computer that lets you type commands and see the results or it can be a gamming platform (like the ps2) A consol can be EITHER open/closed.

WTF are you talking about?[/quote']

He means open and closed as in hardware, so an open hardware system you can open it up and change componants, a closed system, is in a "sealed" box where you cannot easily change componants.

I prefer PC's as well [open system?]. The fact that I have the power to mod the system to do what I desire, seems just a lot better than a standard Console system which is meant for only one type of thing. Though the console system maybe tweaked for performance in its area, if one was to have one console for every job that was necessary, it would sum up to a good deal of money.

I think the problem here is that everyone is replying in terms of which you would prefer to use but the poster wishes to know which you would prefer to develop (ie write software) for.

A good example of a non-console to pc comparison of open and relatively closed systems would be comparing the PC to the Mac, while there are various generations of Mac the actual different variations on hardware are limited compared to the PC and this allows for them to write software tailored to those systems which can result in a much smoother experience and less driver problems etc.

I think most developers would prefer developing for a closed system but would only really care when it actually affected them. Alot of projects won't need to take alot into account as the OS will take care of it for you or if not some form of virtual machine or just set standards. But as you said, some closed systems like Consoles can often have smaller OS footprints so that can be a plus but then again you will have to write alot more yourself when the OS doesn't do something for you, so despite having the resources yourself you can lose time having to do extra coding etc.