Separating H2 and O2

zking786

I had a think about the heating problems, if you don`t dry the Hydrogen after, it should cool the burn temp a little, perhaps you could devise a way to better humidify the Hydrogen just before it enters the intake of the engine?

just a thought :)

Maybe after a while, but they give it to you when you are coming out of anaesthetics (sp?) after surgery, so I don't think it's an immediate high.

[Edit: Are we sure that burning hydrogen with gasoline isn't going to harm the engine? Those things are so complicated and so specialized... and so expensive... that I wouldn't want to test it. Plus, how are you going to get the hydrogen into the engine?]

I certainly wouldn`t use the 2, hydrogen OR Gassoline, but not both, the mix will be too rich and shitty up the spark plug(s) in no time.

alternatively, you could use the O2 directly into the carb and get a little extra Oomph that way, but only short periods at a time.

Hydrogen will work in a modified petrol engine, but basic 2 stroke engines like lawnmowers and chainsaws are the best for conversion.

you`ll need something a little more prolific than a simple erlinmyer flasks worth to keep it going though :)

The computer of the vehicle will alter the vehicle's fuel consumption. Seeing that the vehicle will be running an overly rich mixture, the computer of the vehicle will decrease the amount of gasoline, resulting in increased efficiency.

If I'm not mistaken, it should result in a consistant octane rating (if not a higher one). What is your rationale? Since hydrogen is far more combustable than gasoline, minute quantities should eliminate the need for larger quantities of fuel. Since the vehicle's computer is programmed to try to maintain constant conditions (richness vs. leanness mixtures) it should decrease the amount of fuel. I don't understand why you would think that the octane would reduce. Wouldn't hydrogen be a higher octane fuel than gasoline anyway?

I will be inserting the H2 line into a nonvaccum line of the intake (where the air goes before combustion) if possible. If there is not a significant enough rising force of the hydrogen, I will need to create a small vaccum to suck the hydrogen in.

I don't think it would destroy my engine; however, there is a possibility. The only possible problem that I can see arising is an overheating engine. Because hydrogen burns at a temperature much higher than gasoline, the result is a hotter engine. Since only small amounts of hydrogen are being used, I doubt there will be a noticable temperature difference. Since I will be inserting only hydrogen (not oxygen and hydrogen as was previously planned) I doubt that combustion will occur before the hydrogen gets to the engine. The hydrogen will be mixed with air in the intake manifold and then injected into the cylinder, where it will be combusted. I don't see any major problems.

Now to get all the equipment! Any ideas as to what to use?

you`ll certainly need a non return valve!

depending on the pressure you`ve got behind your hydrogen tank, you may be able to use a MAPP gas regulator, failing that for a bench test an "Air lock" like that used on demijohns for fermentation will work perfectly well (you could even make a simple one with household junk and a bit of water for the trap).

IIRC there was a method used to power a lawn mower that employed 2 sheets of stainless steel seperated by a mesh and then rolled up into a PVC tube, filled with the electrolyte and so on. 2 of those produced enough hydrogen to run a small 25cc petrol mower :)

I`ll have a look in one of my magazines a bit later for a fireplace you can have in your house that burns pure hydrogen made from mains electricity, it`s expensive (a novelty item for the rich), maybe they have a website with a block diagram?

If I'm not mistaken, it should result in a consistant octane rating (if not a higher one). What is your rationale? Since hydrogen is far more combustable than gasoline, minute quantities should eliminate the need for larger quantities of fuel. Since the vehicle's computer is programmed to try to maintain constant conditions (richness vs. leanness mixtures) it should decrease the amount of fuel. I don't understand why you would think that the octane would reduce. Wouldn't hydrogen be a higher octane fuel than gasoline anyway?

I was under the impression that octane rating was a ranking of the ratio of hydrocarbons to other impurities in a fuel. Seeing as hydrogen has no carbons... But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. My concern with the computer is that computers, in general, have very limited running environments, that is, I'm not sure that this is a scenario that was foreseen and accomidated (sp?) for in the computer. It's also completely possible that the computer will do exactly what you want anyway; I'm not experienced enough with cars to knw (I don't even drive), I'm just saying that you should make sure it's gonna work beforehand, and saying whatever seems logical in my mind and could result in a trouble spot. And the last thing that seems like it could be a problem is engine knock. Is this going to cause too much knock? As far as materials go, I can recommend carbon and/or platinum for electrodes (or plated with platinum), but other than that, I really have no idea. Like I said, I can't even drive. :)

Worst comes to worst, the vehicle will knock if the computer doesn't adjust. I think that the vehicle has a feedback mechanism which detects the knocking of the engine and would correct it. For example, when you put high octane fuel into a vehicle, it doesn't knock because it adjusts for air. I'll try to do some more research to confirm this.

I had some questions for YT2095. I will be using a one-way valve to prevent the hydrogen from going back to the container in the event of a backfire. I was wondering what a "MAPP gas regulator" is. Would appreciate clarification.

ever used a Calor gas or Propane bottle, the sort used in caravans or for portable heaters?

on the top they have a regulator, it literaly Clips on with a turn of a "key/knob" and basicly stops all the gas coming out at once :)

if I find the time, I`ll try get a link for you explaining them a little better if my post doesn`t make sense :)

I doubt the pressure will be high. Because I'm electrolyzing the water with 12 volts, 15amps I don't suspect that I will have a very high pressure of hydrogen. In fact, I wouldn't want to keep the hydrogen under any pressure. I would want any hydrogen produced to travel up the line and into the intake. Because only small amounts of hydrogen are produced, regulating the pressure will probably not be necessary. Is that what you mean?