Seeking Help With Depression

I am not currently experiencing severe depression (though i have at some periods in my life), and i am beginning to think depression may only be a byproduduct of some other problem, i am pretty sure i have OCD, who knows what else. The thing is i'm generally drifting through life with inhibiting anxiety and only brief occasional moments of being at peace, which often are cut short by realizing how much time i've wasted and how hopeless it seems that things will ever change. I dont know how severe my case is obviously because i am blinded within the prison of my own psychology most of the time. It's probably not as bad as many people's but I know its worse than i know because i often hide my emotions from everyone including myself to cope with it.

I recently started taking pain killers when i'm not in physical pain. I never overdose, and probably only do it twice a week (when i do, sometime i go for a while without doing anything), still i'm afraid it may develop into something. There is a very noticable change in my consciousness when i do this, i feel much more in control, and less depressed, however i'm also more much more mellow, and thus not exactly happy. It'd be nice to experience some sense of enjoyment in life, rather than merely an absense of pain.

So i'm wondering if i should try to get a prescription for an anti-depressant, but i know there are side effects. Are these rare risks or serious concerns? What are the risks of prescription anti-depressents, vs. painkillers if i'm careful not to abuse them? What other options are there? Do herbal supplements really work in anyone's experience? I've tried some before and not really noticed anything, i know you are supposed to take them consistently to experience the effects. My mother takes them regularly and she's still a fairly anxious person, so i dont see any strong evidence convincing me to give them a serious try, but maybe she just doesn't have the most effective supplements.

I'd much appreciate anyones suggestions, for what has worked for you. Legal or not, as long as it works and is relatively safe, it seems to me that whether it is legal or not doesn't neccisarily have much to do with whether its safe or not in some situations

Stop the pain-killers now; if you are considering prescription medication, use one that is intended for your problem.

I go on and off Wellbutrin; I love it. I should probably stay on it, but I am not good with pills. I do not experience loss of affect or a decrease in sexual desire on it.

I've said this elsewhere, but I will repeat myself: walk. About three miles a day.

If you have trouble doing this, sleep in work-out clothes, and leave your sneakers and breathmints by the door, so you don't even have to brush your teeth.

I don't find weight-training as effective, but you might.

What is the source of your physical pain? You should try to get to the bottom of it and see if there is a way to manage it that doesn't involve narcotics.

I have spinal stenosis - for one thing I have congenitally narrow disks in my lower back, I also have arthritis. The foramen on the sides of the vertebra through which the nerves pass are partially closed. When the nerve feels entrapped, it swells and the pain gets progressively worse. Right now, the sciatic nerve is irritated and the pain is going down my left leg all the way into my foot. I go for an epidural every 4 or 5 months. They inject cortesone into my back. I am having another in the next few days. It reduces the swelling of the nerve, and I get relief for a while without having to take so much medication. Eventually, I will have to have a "rotor rooter" job and have the foramen opened surgically.

I had one back surgery for a herniated disk back in '89. That pain was severe and unrelenting, until I was able to have it repaired surgically - I woke up in the operating room totally free of pain - did not even have post-surgical pain.

I'm telling you this because based on my experience, living with chronic pain can be very depressing. Right now, my back is so screwed up that I can't do my usual walking for exercise. That depresses me further, especially when I see my body, that I worked so hard on to get back in shape, getting saggy and flabby.

After my husband died, my doctor prescribed Xanex. I think it is an anti-anxiety medication, rather than an anti-depressant. Regardless, it does make me feel much better.

Hope you are successful in finding a treatment that will work for you.

thanks for the info, i'll check out about Wellbutrin, just a question tho, what is the diff. between Prescription and over counter? cant prescription worse for you liver and all? That's the main concern i have, and why i posted this question at all. The walkin tho sounds like a really good idea, i just need to find the motivation to get it started. Coquina, i'm pretty sure that its not caused by something physical, like i said as far as i know i'm NOT in physical pain, it just eases my general anxiety about everything.

I think that is why I go on and off the medication; I worry about long term side effects. I don't drink when I take it, but then drinking is not good for depressives.

As for the walking, don't think about how far you should walk, keeping the pace and your posture right, finding the right shoes; shuffle around the block in your bed-slippers with a cup of coffee if that's what gets you out.

Good luck.