time travel (is it possible?)

Doc Who (Jr)

hey guys im new, and erm im 15 so go easy k? im only just into quantum physics an im still learning but if u guys cud tech me i'd be grateful to learn more (thanks!) neway on to the thread, u guys think im a pathetic little kid with pathetic sci-fi ideas. but hear me out, im working on a theory (based on einsteins wormhole theory) about a) whether its possible to travel thru time and b) how it is possible. now the idea is still in fuition so ill need data, specifically how much (or an equation wud be nice) energy does it take to create a black hole of minimum size?

(dont take de mickey plz guys, im only lil lol)

It doesn't really take energy as such to create a black hole, more it takes a very dense mass. Now normally a good way to create that would be to use a lot of energy, but remember it is the dense mass you are looking for.

Particle accelerators can actually be used to create a "black hole" because the particles are smacked together at such high speed they squash together soo much they become quite dense, but a black hole consisting of a few quarks (3 quarks per neutron or proton) will not only "swallow up" effectively nothing it will die out within microseconds (hawking radiation possibly, although the few microseconds are not really enough to fully verify the theory).

To create a decent black hole so you'd notice it without endangering much you'd need a super powerful particle accelerator -- or maybe you could use a current one, I'm not sure on any statistics or formulae.

A thread "is time travel possible":

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=347

But what may be A LOT more interesting is this thread:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7735

(I always make good thread don't I!!! ;))

I'm not not sure that the laws of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics allow time travel. They probably don't. Time travel requires huge amount of exotic matter (negative mass), stuff which has never been detected in this universe.

John Baez says that it's not possible because nothing can travel faster than light. I agree with him. It's in this site.

hang on, wat says it aint been detected in this universe, the furthest man has gona doesnt even go outside our solar system, let alone the universe!!!!!

woa, negative mass.... anti-matter is possible, but antimatter has the same positive mass -- not anti mass (which has never been proved or anything).

well thank you very much for that, i think i understand a lot more my theory is still in progress but i cud get a basic edition ready to see wat ppl think wat ho guys?

That'd be quite useful!

and also im not looking at travelling physically im talking about travelling through time, which i dont think involves speed, but its early days yet so we'll see eh guys?

Well technically changing speed in one dimension (4th, time) does not require speed in another (3rd, space) dimension... although going faster than light is often assocaiated with time travel, although it is not possible for data to be transferred faster than light (FTL) and there are many threads on here which people argue this, if you are going to argue about going FTL then just use the search button at the top of the page.

i gotta bit of my theory which proves that travelling into the future is very difficult or impossible. so, here we go (btw this may sound a bit obscure): i believe that to travel forward in time you have to kno the sequence in which things are going to happen and (sumhow) move all matter to match the sequence until the sequence you have moved the matter matches the time you want to arrive at. there are two flaws however, i dont know how to move the matter in this way, and the future may always be in motion so we may neva be able to find out the sequence which things are about to happen

If you know the actions of the future and bring them into the present then rather than taking yourself into the future, you are infact making the future the present...

Infact, by definition the future cannot happen now, what is now is the present, what is going to (ie. hasnt yet, isnt now) is the future... bringing actions which are going to happen into the present tense isn't really time travelling any more so than the fact that we are travelling in time at 1 second per second, what is future [and certain] will one day be present, that kind of time travelling is not really anything special.

A) YES!!!! 100% real!!! There are a few world wide.

RHIC: http://www.bnl.gov/RHIC/

A list of all of most of them from around the world:

http://www-elsa.physik.uni-bonn.de/Informationen/accelerator_list.html

B) Yes, that book has been mentioned here before, or at least I recognise the name, I haven't read it myself.

You asked about black holes in particle accelerators, or maybe I brought it up, here's a link from RHIC which is a well heard of (amongst scientists) particle accelerator:

http://www.bnl.gov/RHIC/black_holes.htm

neone kno if i can get a part-time job at the National Physics Lab after yr 11?

Theoretically yes... in practice, unless they have a special thing for young students I doubt it just because most people who work there are post grads and qualified.

originally posted by BlackHole

John Baez says that it's not possible because nothing can travel faster than light. I agree with him. It's in this site.

You dont have to go faster than the speed of light to time travel. At any speed your time is relativisticly different to anyone travelling at any other speed. It is just that at presently viable speeds the time difference is insignificant. Einsteins equations clearly show this.

btw guys sum ppl have been talking about travelling faster than light may i ask wat this has to do with travelling thru time? i don't believe that u have to travel faster than light to travel time. get wat im sayin?

If you were travelling faster than the speed of sound then you could hear sounds that you'd already heard and that had gone past you because you'd catch them up.

Similarly if you went faster than light you'd catch up light that had already gone past you and so you'd see events that had past...

Saying that, it is impossible to go FTL.