potassium permanganate

rthmjohn

is it sort of like NI3, but less sensitive?

It is ridiculously sensitive. I have made some of this some years ago by adding a drop of concentrated H2SO4 to a few crystals of KMnO4. What I saw is formation of a purple vapor (which is Mn2O7) and the most remarkable was that every few seconds I saw a little speck of light on the dark brown/green drop of H2SO4/KMnO4. These little specks of light were due to dust particles from the air, touching the drop and being oxidized at once, as soon as they touch the surface of the liquid. While I was watching this beautiful phenomenon it suddenly did BENG... a lot of little brown droplets of H2SO4 and MnO2 were sprayed around and I had many little dark spots on my clothes.

So, if you experiment with Mn2O7, be really careful and only use milligram quantities.!

That site is kinda scary.

As legit as it may seem' date=' just looking at the main page gives me the willies. I mean, phosphorus and iodine on the first page...oh yeah, add chloroform to that list of 'things on the main page'. Certainly looks like a trap to me.

KMnO4 is a watched chemical too, because it's used to produce a schedule I ketone.

My thing is only order things online if you have to. The gov't is very nosy about chems.[/quote']

I am a chemistry enthusiast and it disturbs me that we are so lied to..I suppose they think we are too stupid to simply run a domain registry trace? Here are the results of the "British chemical company":

The bold parts you will find interesting for a British based company.

Record For

kno3.com

Registrant:

Shanks, Kerry-Ann

ATTN: KNO3.COM

c/o Network Solutions

P.O. Box 447

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Domain Name: KNO3.COM

Administrative Contact :

Shanks, Kerry-Ann

z62z75482ry@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com

c/o Network Solutions

P.O. Box 447

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Phone: 570-708-8780

Technical Contact :

Shanks, Kerry-Ann

z62z75482ry@networksolutionsprivateregistration.com

c/o Network Solutions

P.O. Box 447

Herndon, VA 20172-0447

Phone: 570-708-8780

Record expires on 20-May-2008

Record created on 16-Feb-2005

Database last updated on 04-Jun-2005

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

DNS1.SECURE-SHOPS5.COM 69.44.61.169

DNS2.SECURE-SHOPS5.COM 69.44.61.169

This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail™ or USPS Certified Mail®; all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to include the registrant?s domain name in the address.

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.

IP Address: 69.44.61.169 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)

IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-TEXAS-SAN ANTONIO

Record Type: Domain Name

Server Type: IIS 6

Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

Web Site Status: Active

DMOZ no listings

Y! Directory: see listings

Web Site Title: Welcome to RAW CHEMICALS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED - We Accept All Credit And Debit Cards, Fast Worldwide Shipping, USA & Canada In 3 Days, Insured Postage, Free Shipping In The UK.

Secure: No

E-commerce: Yes

Traffic Ranking: 3

Data as of: 02-Jul-2005

This looks like a very nice forum, nice to meet everybody!

Registrant:

Shanks' date=' Kerry-Ann

Technical Contact :

Shanks, Kerry-Ann

[/quote']

Have a look at this and click the keyboard picture. Exactly the same style of writing as on the site kno3.com. Also look at the name: Kerry-Ann Shanks. This simply must be the same person. I think that Kerry-Ann Shanks is a person who earns some money from activities which are somewhat at the edge of legal/illegal.

The location of an IP-address and the location of a registry does not say anything about the physical location of a shop. Usually, people take a foreign domain and a foreign hosting company, when the activities on the site are illegal or at the edge. So, I can imagine that Kerry-Ann Shanks does not use a UK-based webhosting company, because selling chems to the general public is at the edge in the UK (as far as I understood).

Comments on this are welcome.

I have no idea how the system works where you live, but here, a phone book of your city and an adjacent city will yield a chemical supply company or some sort of retail supplier within an hour drive, the only disadvantage generally being minimum purchase orders in the hundreds.

thanks for the info, evilwalnut. that confirms it.

im sort of scared about unitednuclear, but they seem legitimate.

where i live i can't order from local companies AND most common household chemicals have been taken off shelves. no oxidizers at all. no H2SO4. even HCl isn't common anymore