Fur shedding gene inheritance?

CiElBie

Ok, I am very sorry, but I am very new to genetics, and know relatively little, so please bear with me!

Talking about dog genetics, many breeds have different types of coats

A poodle will almost always have the poodle coat, since purebred poodles have been bred with other purebred poodles for many many generations, I would assume all the traits associated with the poodle, such as the shedding and coat, are all with 2 pairs of the alleles that cause these traits.

This would be the same with other breeds that are crossed with the poodle, such as labradors, in that they will have a double of the gene which causes their coat due to only being bred with other members of the same breed which show this trait.

I have read that coat curls are confirmed dominant, which makes sence.

All poodle crosses I have seen have some visible effect on their coat, so this seems right.

However, how would coat type and texture be inherited?

A few breeders say that first generation crosses are based on luck when it comes to crosses with a poodle, and roughly suggest its 50% chance (without actually mentioning it) of the dog to inherit what people want from the dogs coat.

according to this article regarding the shedding inheritance of sheep, it seems they concluded that the most likely mode of inheritance was autosomal dominant. I may have read this incorrectly, that is very highly likely, or misinterpreted this.

However, this would is the opposite of what some breeders have mentioned, which makes me wonder.

Breeders like the above ^

Regarding this, mixed bred dogs often do have varying coat types as well, you don't expect a specific coat from a mix, you assume it will be random, as that seems the most likely case.

Why would this be?

Is it controlled by multiple genes? I am very confused, sorry if the answer to my question is very obvious.

EDIT:

I did some more research, and it seems that this is dependant on the Anagen and Catagen stages of hair growth, which the length of time the hair stays in these stages can be passed on genetically.

The Catagen stage is a stage apparently in which the hair is neither falling out or growing, but a transitional stage.

The Anagen stage is the hair growth stage, and apparently shorter Anagen time is dominant.

I guess the question is what type of inheritance would this stage be that determines how often the dog sheds? I guess that is how long the cycle is, which would be the combined time of all the stages.

Edited by CiElBie