The universal velocity of the solar system

What is the universal velocity of the solar system?

Do we have exact values for galactic velocity and galactic spin at the position of the solar system, and from this what would be the mean velocity for the solar system?

Signed

SpaceTime

What is the universal velocity of the solar system?

Do we have exact values for galactic velocity and galactic spin at the position of the solar system' date=' and from this what would be the mean velocity for the solar system?

Signed

SpaceTime[/quote']

the closest thing astronomers have to a universal rest frame is the Cosmic Microwave Background. If you are at rest relative to CMB then the TEMPERATURE looks pretty much the same in all directions.

but if you are moving relative to the CMB then the radiation ahead of you will appear slightly doppler blueshifted and the CMB radiation behind you will appear slightly doppler redshifted.

I dont mean red and blue because that suggest light and this is microwave so I mean shifted towards shorter wavelengths higher frequency, or towards longer wavelengths lower frequency

In 1995 the solar systems speed relative CMB was measured by COBE satellite and reported by a team including Lineweaver and Smoot and if found that we are moving about 360 km/second in the direction of the constellation Leo.

I can probably find their paper online. It would give precise coordinates.

this is an important velocity for astronomers to know because if you dont factor it out then the expansion of the universe looks slightly LOPSIDED.

I think even Hubble noticed this, before they could measure it with CMB precisely

since the sun and earth are going at about 1.2 thousandths of the speed of light in the Leo direction, if you look at distant galaxies THEY ARE NOT RECEDING QUITE AS FAST as the distant galaxies when you look the other way, in the opposite-to-Leo direction

this speed relative to CMB (or relative to the expansion symmetry) has to be taken into account for large scale astronomy.

it is NOT simply related to our motion within the galaxy, because the galaxy is moving too, relative to CMB.

if you want to know our motion in galaxy, and galaxy's motion relative to universal rest frame, we probably have a link for that.

but what your question about "universal velocity" suggests is you want to know motion relative to the largest standard rest frame which is CMB

The reference I am considering is from the source of the big bang which could be in a way percieved as the source of absolute zero' date=' the start of everything.

Signed

SpaceTime[/quote']

the CMB radiation comes from a moment when the universe was 380,000 years old. it is the oldest radiation we have been able to detect so far.

when we can detect radiation from when U was 1 second old then you can use that as a rest frame. in the meanwhile the best universal rest frame and the closest handle we have on big bang is the CMB

look at the star map here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showpost.php?p=63380&postcount=14

coordinates of our velocity here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showpost.php?p=122364&postcount=57

Much of the technical information available suggests that a velocity of about 600,000 meters per second is the correct value (http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/astronomy/expandinguniverselecture.html), as our galaxy is travelling toward the great attractor and not 360,000 meters per second.

As for the galactic spin value 220,000 225,000 and 232,000 are being suggested, I am unsure of where I can find the most accurate value.

Signed

SpaceTime

• 2 weeks later...
originally posted by spacetime

The reference I am considering is from the source of the big bang which could be in a way percieved as the source of absolute zero, the start of everything.

The centre of the universe (origin of the big bang) is everywhere, there is no position of its occurrance. Our universe is the expansion of this point.