Lorentz tensor

luc

Tom, I'm referring to the Lorentz tensor used to transform a displacement 4-vector from one frame of reference to another

The equation goes this way:

D=LD'

where L is the Lorentz tensor

I think the one your after, for transforming any 4 vector into another frame, is:

g -gb 0 0

-gb g 0 0

0 0 1 0

0 0 0 1

I had to use g = gamma factor and b = beta factor (beta = v/c) because I can't do all the fancy formulas and stuff that other people seem to be able to use.

I think the one your after' date=' for transforming any 4 vector into another frame, is:

g -gb 0 0

-gb g 0 0

0 0 1 0

0 0 0 1

I had to use g = gamma factor and b = beta factor (beta = v/c) because I can't do all the fancy formulas and stuff that other people seem to be able to use.[/quote']

Here you go:

[math] \left( \begin{array}{cccc}

\gamma \ \ \ -\gamma\beta \ 0 \ 0\\

-\gamma\beta \ \ \ \ \gamma \ 0 \ 0\\

0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ 1 \ 0\\

0 \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ 0 \ 1\\

\end{array} \right)

[/math]

Theres a bug in the Latex here, so I had to insert a bunch of spaces to get things in the right colums. Normally you just use the ampersand & to separate entries, but that feature isn't working right.

Geez' date=' calm down! No one owes you an answer, and we all have real lives that sometimes get in the way of making 20 posts a day.

Well except for Johnny, apparently. :D[/quote']

I'm at 22 a day, holy cow. :embarass: