Why Reputation? It Hurts Sometime Apart Making Us Happy

I am most welcome here? How can you conclude this fact without showing me any prooves?

I am telling you that you are welcome here. I don't give a damn what others may think in this regard - I welcome you.

However, knowing many of the other members who have posted here through having interacted with them on the forum for many years I can assure you that they likely feel exactly the same.

I think I am the most hated member in this forum for posting hurting posts and topics like this one-Why Reputations?..

I now risk hurting you again, but that is really silly. You are not hated. You haven't done anything to be hated. Put that ridiculous idea out of your mind. You have raised an issue with Reputation that most of us disagree with, but that has produced some interesting discussion. What is there to hate? Absolutely nothing!

You are taking things far too personally. Relax. Enjoy the debate and discussion.

And I seemed to have annoyed many experts, moderators and administrators.

In your imagination, perhaps. Not in the real world.

And why not just ban the user when a certain pre-set limit is achieved. Let say -5. If someone gain a total reputation points of -5 or worse than it will be automatically being expelled or have their membership terminated. Then, the problem is solved.

You are trying to solve a problem that most of don't think exists.

I am not only starting this thread for myself but for the others that were being hurt in this forum due to just simply a (or more) -1. I know what you mean, i understand. i really understand but I don`t think -1 is the only way to learn things like that but teaching you lessons behing every -1. There should be other ways and can still produce the same effect as what you say, and at least not that hurting.

The problem is not the system. The problem is your reaction to the system. You do not need to be hurt by a negative reputation given you by an anonymous person on the internet. It only matters if you decide it matters. Decide now it does not matter.

You are in control of your reaction to events. You get to decide if you are going to be pleased, or angry, or hurt, or concerned by events, or posts, or questions. You have the power. Not anyone else.

Great, and Yes. Done. I finally understand what you mean and again REALLY I think I have misunderstood your meanings. BTW, thanks. And one question again, if I have the power to think of -1 as a learning process, then what about the others? Will they think the same?

They just likely feel the same, not absolutely. ;) Just saying. ;)

And one question again, if I have the power to think of -1 as a learning process, then what about the others? Will they think the same?

They just likely feel the same, not absolutely. ;) Just saying. ;)

Some will view it positively, some will view it negatively. People are different and react differently. I hope that some may read the discussions here and gain a positive understanding.

Listen, lets take a general look at criticism. I speak for myself - I react badly to criticism. That is, when criticised I think, "that's not true" and "that is hurtful". These are natural reactions. But almost immediately I then begin to think objectively. "Is this criticism valid?", "What can I learn form this criticism?", "Do I need to change?", "Did I explain myself badly?", etc. The reactions are past and I am now working with rational, objective actions.

How can you be so sure that people will think almost immediately that criticism shows positive lesson behind them. Maybe some users think pessimistically?

Because we hope that people who come to Science Forums dot Net will have a rational and scientific outlook - and science works by stringing together interesting failures.

You try something it doesn't work, you think again, you repeat test, you still get odd results, you modify your ideas, etc

The ability to deal with criticism is part of maturing and becoming a rational adult - I don't think anyone ever enjoys it; but you get inured and can understand the necessity . Even when one knows that the vicious attack on your labour of love is actually well intentioned and sensible constructive criticism - for a second it hurts and you hate; then the rational higher faculties take over, you realise this person is actually aiding your career by examining your ideas, is enabling you to find mistakes in your own work, and is really on your side.

Ok, it seems that I am wrong from the beginning of the post, I shouldn`t post this hot topic with over 105 replies and 1137 views. I am wrong. Ok, I get what Mr. imatfaal and Mr. Ophiolite`s message. I should accept reputations. It is a must for me to enter the adult world. -1 doesn`t mean the end of my world. So, with no objections starting from now, I declare the fact that

1. I agree with the forum`s administrators, resident experts and moderators comment about the current reputation system

2. No modification is needed for the current reputation system.

3. We should continue with the current reputation system.

4. I won`t be angry and feel sad with the reputations given by members in this forum

5. Let`s just continue with our journey towards a better tomorrow.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nicholas Kang