The end of Pi in our science is neared

mathenthusiast

The other day when browsing on internet for news related to math, i came across an interesting paper which i thought to share with the research community. The title of the paper caught my attention and therefore out of sheer curiosity, i managed to read the paper. I found the paper to be interesting. One can find the paper on the following link provided.

This author claims that there is a fundamental error in our mathematics. It's related to the circle constant - Pi. How far this is true? If so, how does this impact our science?

I am not a mathematician.

My mathematics is weak.

I am, however, skilled at detecting bullshit, although I have no academic qualifications for this.

The paper is bullshit. Its impact on science will be about the same as last Wednesday's episode of Coronation Street.

The paper claims in early paragraphs that the area and the circumference can approximate each other - one is a length (m) and the other is an area (m^2); dimensionally they will always be distinct.

And in the "proof" the author assumes that K is the constant of proportionality in both the area and circumference and then uses that assumption to show that it is true. Circular arguments like this have no value.

And once you get to silliness like claiming that the area of a circle is 6.28 times r squared (the real area) you are into the realms of fantasy. I have a tub of cracked pepper on my desk in front of me - it is 27.5mm radius and 15mm depth of corns. If I tip it into a square box of a size such that the depth remains 15mm I have a very simple way of assessing the area of a circle; it will not fit your new definition. The claim of a different circular area vs square area is spurious, silly, and wrong.

• 2 weeks later...