Earth Quakes and Communication

Sato

Hello,

For anyone who has some familiarity with the generation and functionings of earth quakes and other such geological phenomena, is it possible (I'm sure it is, but how exactly does this work) to generate underground vibrations not large enough to cause any notice above ground, but enough such that the vibrations can be tracked / received like signals. How efficient is this process of generating these? Would it be possible to sent communications through such a system, and how feasible would this be? What might be the downsides, and what special use could this have?

Thank you,

Sato

Seismographs regularly detect and track ground shaking that is not normally detectable by people at the surface. While it is technically possible to send modulated acoustic signals through the earth I suspect the power requirements would be prohibitive. A downside might be disturbing certain wildlife that use extra low frequency to communicate, e.g. elephants. The US Navy experimented on-and-off with low frequency sonars in the oceans, but -by most accounts- stopped because the signals disoriented whales.

Seismographs regularly detect and track ground shaking that is not normally detectable by people at the surface. While it is technically possible to send modulated acoustic signals through the earth I suspect the power requirements would be prohibitive. A downside might be disturbing certain wildlife that use extra low frequency to communicate, e.g. elephants. The US Navy experimented on-and-off with low frequency sonars in the oceans, but -by most accounts- stopped because the signals disoriented whales.

Ah, alright, thank you very much!