Are there ways to reduce Acid Rain?

Are there ways to reduce Acid Rain? Yes, in fact there were many programs initiated to reduce Acid Rain. One of them being Title IV. This program was passed to reduce emissions of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) from power plants that are fossil fuel-fired. With the implementation of Title IV, there was a significant decline of sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions. It is a great way to prevent acid rain. It reduces the emission of SO2 and NOx and PM2.5, which would benefit our health. It also costs less than half of the estimated cost in 1990, which portrays that they are becoming more efficient.

While researching this topic, I learned how acid rain can affect us. This was interesting because I didn’t expect it to have such impact. In the article, Lauraine G. Chestnut* and David M. Mills stated “It also examined the risk posed by the potential for acid deposition to mobilize harmful substances in the soil, causing them to enter the human food chain.” This means that acid deposition can eventually end up in the human food chain consequently harming us. I was aware that acid rain had some serious effects on the environment, however, didn’t expect it to cause harm to the human population. I was surprised that an issue with such impact was something that majority of us aren’t aware of. Also another interesting thing I learned is that scientist and government agencies arn’t the only ones who can help. Conserving energy is something that anyone can do. Turning off the light,computers, televisions, video games when you’re not using it is away you can contribute to the reduction of acid rain. Also you can carpool or take public transportation, such as buses and trains because that will cut down on air pollution from cars.

-Nasteha Sheikhomar
Edited by Nasteha

• 11 months later...

The exhaust of modern diesel engines is cleaner than the intake air thanks to design modifications such as exhaust gas recirculation and diesel exhaust fluid utilization. Ultra low sulpher fuel is the only legal fuel in use today.

Unfortunately the amount of SO2 belched into the atmosphere by volcanic eruptions cannot be as well regulated.

• 2 weeks later...

Alkaline rain has not been mentioned as a possible threat to my knowledge. So far, attempts towards the elimination of sulfer and nitrogen oxides seem to be safe and effective, albeit not without costs.

Today's diesel fuel prices in North America are routinely greater than those of unleaded gasoline in a reversal of the price pattern observed prior to current regulations. Of course costs of the acid precipitation were reduced, the whole point of the exercise to begin with.