gravimetric analysis of pepsi

Comandante

hi,

i was wondering if it would be possible (which i think it would:) to determine the amount of sugar in say 250mL of pepsi by gravimetric means? if it would could anyone tell me how could it be done?

right now i have a bottle of pepsi light, caffeine free, it states 0.0g of sugar per serve(250mL), nevertheless i still want to test it :P

for regular pepsi if you boil out the water you will be left with the syrup, you must then extract the actual sugar from that syrup, how i dont know... But atleast you know how to start it off...

It probably has phenylalanine, which is artificiall sweetner used instead of sugar. So i dont think theres any sugar. just the sweetner

Phenylalanine is NOT an artificial sweetner. It never was, and it never will be. It is an amino acid which is a building block of pretty much anything alive. The reason why you see all the 'Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine' warnings on diet sodas and stuff is because the artificial sweetners will break down into the amino acid phenylalanine inside the body. Phenylketonurics have a genetic malfunction where they cannot process that amino-acid and it builds up inside the body. Large quantities of it can cause severe damage to numerous organ systems resulting in death. In many diet sodas, the artificial sweetener is Aspartame, or now Splenda.

sucralose is the best alternative. no known health problems to my knowledge. and to imagine, all they did was replace a hydroxyl group from glucose with a chlorine atom.

Yeah, that's 'Splenda'. Still, the idea of having the chlorinated glucose molecules just doesn't seem all too comforting to me. However, I really don't have much of a choice as an IDD.