Data for Research Paper...

MrImpossible

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but couldn't think of a better place seeing as science deals with a lot of data.

I have to come up with a Hypothesis, Compile the data, If I'm right write a paper explaining why or if I'm wrong explain why I was wrong in my Hypothesis to the best of my ability.

What I'm looking for is data based on every nine years starting from 1980 so I can setup a Frequency table. To look something like this:

Years Gay/Lesbian Population Aggressive Female Characters (Movie/TV) Weak Male Characters (Movie/TV)

1980-1989 # # #

1990-1999 # # #

2000-2009 # # #

My Hypothesis is that there is a correlation between the rise in the Gay/Lesbian Population and the Psychologically Flipped Characters Portrayed in Entertainment.

Where would be a good place to find the data I need for my research paper?

(Side question: Should I break down the years further? say 1981-1985, 1986-1990, 1991-1995, etc...)

Subject: Statistics

(Never heard of a Math Professor assigning such work but whatever. Good practice for Frequency tables and what they can be used for, I guess.)

Edited by MrImpossible

Mr Impossible - your request for aid aside - the implicit stereotyping that seems to lie at the base of your hypothesis could be viewed as insulting.

I would tend to go for a idea that is less likely to be (mis-)interpreted as a slur on the LGBT community and also one which is easier. The easier part would entail not having criteria such as aggressive and weak which are subjective and need thinking about, it would also mean looking for data that are freely and readily available, and ensuring your data easily fits a standard statistical testing model.