Mars Pictures

us.2u

Which interestingly fired a few neurons 'what happened to those tree image thingymebobs'.

The latest info i found was

possible plantlife:

a)It turns out these tree shapes vary throughout the year,change size and colour depending on season,they get larger and darker during the summer.

possible sand dunes:

b)Nasa states that these tree shapes are sand dunes topped with melting frost,given the temp is -150 c they are not believed to be plants.

I dont have an opinion either way on what they are,i would just like a definitive answer.

On a scientific note,-150 c doesnt rule out plantlife.

'redosier dogwood stems'(Cornus sericea) can survive temps lower than -300 c.

Has anyone else found out anything recent that explains these anomalies.

Jeeez not really Ophiolite.I followed many crackpot links,i found these on the official NASA site,i do remember that while not these pics.Some objects in others varied in size up to 1.5 km in places (some shrub).But in these instances they seemed to show actual Star dunes.

So i cannot really help you there,sorry.

Im not that bothered,i just thought by now they would be a better explanation then AC Clarkes banyan trees.

They do look more plant like than Nasa's dendritic drainage patterns .

drains.jpg

arrgh! I was sure I posted a reply yesterday that didn't get caught in one of my system crashes.

Newtonian, thanks for the info you have provided. The images are intriguing.

TT thanks for the excellent link. I am digesting its content now..

us.2u thanks for the BBC link. They always put a lot of effort into creating a professional looking site.

Dendritic drainage seems the most plausible explanation, but why? Presently I am thinking cinder cones. I'll come back later, eventually.

Cinder cones possibly,but i dont favour them.

I know not all things will conform to our understanding of earth,but they appears to be too many on other images,and over a vast area.The reason im not for dendritic drainage is the branching patterns all look uniform,surely on some objects they would be lack of pattern on one face.Intriguing none the less.

Yes.. I'm not satisfied with my answer, but I need to get more on precise context and location..that's easier than original thinking! Actually, there appear to be two quite different kinds of feature: the less prolific form could be cinder cones, not the second.

It's not unkind, it's abrupt. If I was being unkind, I'd have said "learn where the stinking edit button is, you idiot, or I'll set the wild pigs on you", which I didn't.

Posting four URLs is not a good enough reason to make four posts in a row - that's the reason.

O.K. before you set the wild pigs on me & have an indifference about my personal aroma; would it be too much to ask you, O educated one, to ask for advice to help me be more effecient on how to operate the edit buttons, so as to take your advice on learning how to use them? Then hopefully there will be no more abrupt instructions; mind you my main interest is the science of astronomy not grammar,I'm sure that belongs to a more related thread but you'll proberly be indifferent to that statement....us.2u

help me be more effecient on how to operate the edit buttons

Press the edit button on your last post, add the required information, press "save changes".

Voila!

By the way, I don't actually have any wild pigs and I can't smell you from here.