Pool cleaning fish

Deathby

We only ever use our pool in summer, so its sort of a waste (of time and money) to put in chlorine during other times, but then algae will start growing along the edges and that's difficult to get rid of with just chlorine.

So I've had this idea, is there some sort of fish that will eat the algae growing on the side of my pool, and better yet some of the free-floating algae? I'd like to restrict it to fish since insects will multiply (although I have plenty of them anyway) and die and amphibians could run away.

Ideally they should be self-sufficient and not require much feeding (anything over once a month is fine by me).

Oh and bonus points if you can think of a way to lure them into some kind of trap when summer rolls around.

I used to keep sucker loach fish,they did a pretty good job.But that was only in the fish tank not a swimming pool.I dont think its a good idea to put fish or insects in your pool,i think it will create more mess than help it.

Why not empty the pool over the months were its not being used,and covering it!

coquina's right, in order to prevent algal growth, you'd need to basically turn your pool into a giant aquarium with a complete nitrogen balance, which is a huge pain in the backside.

I'm managed to do that for my aquarium, so you'd need: A gravel bottom for the pool, fish, plants, an undergravel filter the size of God's left nut, and nitrogen-fixing aquarium bacteria by the gallon.

If you don't include all of that, the amonia that the fish excrete will toxify the pool for them and possibly encourage a little algal growth. If you have everything but the plants, the algae will bloom. Basically, you want a nitrogen cycle that ensures all the nitrogen goes into tank denizens that you *want*, like plants, rather than ones you don't, like algae.

Mokele

you could use algae destroyer which comes in a liquid or tablet and can be bought at nearly any pool supply store,,,then it's safe for people to use the pool when you want to,,,but also keeps away the algae and mildews that grow from exposure to sunlight.