Problem with SYBR Green in Electrophoresis

SSHan

I'm running a slab gel electrophoresis project for a Chemistry class I'm taking, but for some reason, I cannot correctly see the banding patterns of my experiment for some reason. I have followed the instructions provided by an expert in the field, but I must be doing something wrong, on account of the fact that rather than getting a proper banding pattern when viewing the slabs under a UV box, I get odd streaks on the reused agarose slab, and nada on the newer one (See attached picture).

My question: How does one properly use the SYBR green to get the banding patterns. I obviously am doing something wrong.

If you need to know what I did, then here it is. After I ran the gels through the electrophoresis process, I submerged the slabs in 500 mL of trisborate buffer. Then, I dropped, using a microliter pipette, 10 µL of SYBR Green over top of the agarose gels (This may be where I made that msitake). Then I let the gels soak for thirty minutes, before setting them up on the UV Box.

Thank You and Feel Free to Ask Questions for any Clarification.

MVC-001S.JPG