Reticulated Activation System: Location & Stimulation

Hi.

As will quickly become apparent, I'm not a scientist or medico, but there is something I need to understand in relation to studies I'm doing on a branch of martial arts that deals with so called "pressure points". Kyusho or Dim Mak for those who may know about them.

I'm trying to understand the precise nature of a revival technique that is used to bring someone around from a knockout. The recommended method doesn't leave the "victim" with a headache. In part it involves relatively light slapping laterally to the cervical region of the spine. While executing this procedure it's important to avoid two points referred to in acupuncture terms as Gallbladder-20 and Urinary Bladder-10.

My questions...

1. Where exactly is the Reticulated Activation System (RAS) located? From what I've read it seems to be located in the upper part of the brain stem, and thus could not be stimulated *directly* by an external action.

2. If my assumption in #1 above is correct, is the RAS connected to any muscles, fibres, nerves, or whatever in the back of the neck, such that the RAS itself could be stimulated by stimulation of the appropriate part of the neck?

TIA