Water electrolysis in the kitchen

FreshMadEagr

You may look for various drain cleaners. Some of cheapest are just solution of NaOH. Soap-making kits are also good source of lye.

It can be made at home by boiling soda and lime. For this you need some vessel that will not break by uneven heating. You need something that protects eyes and hands in case things go wrong. Also you need pretty good filtering equipment. So i think better idea is do go to supermarket and look around.

If he lives in America and has water from a plant, it is likely just the same as anyway else's. I think it is simply that he didn't have enough juice. Two 9 volters barely do anything for me, so only one will not get you much at all (well if you leave copper wires in for a few hours the water will turn green).

I couldn't make bubbles fast enough to fill up balloons.

The device is basically a big PVC "U." One inch to like .5 inch bushings go on the top to hold the balloons. They aren't cemented on to allow for expansion, but they are on nice and tight with that sealing pink tape you use on pipes, so I don't think any gas is escaping.

I was after the hydrogen and oxygen, but I think you are referring to the original question. That would of course me much more effective than electrolysis. You could also just through any various metals into hydrochloric acid.