ODE

jasoncurious

Convert the
following differential equation into separable form by using suitable substitution:

yy’=x3+(y2/x)

When I try
to prove it’s being homogeneous or not,
I found that

yy’=x3+

y’=

(lx)4+(ly)2/ (lx)(ly)

Factorise it:

(l^2x2)+(y^2) / xy

Is this
considered homogeneous?

the l stands for lambda

The differential equation is clearly not homogeneous and I don’t see what homogeneity has got to do with the solution.

Hint: Write the equation as [latex]2yy'-\frac{2}xy^2=2x^3[/latex] and find an integrating factor for the left-hand side. This will tell you exactly what substitution you need to use.

Edited by Nehushtan

You’re welcome. smile.png

Solving differential equations often requires thinking outside the box. If a particular equation does not fit into any classifed category, it doesn’t mean it can’t be solved – you may need to try some other method.

Edited by Nehushtan

yy'=x^3+(y^2)/x

Let y=vx

dy/dx=v+x dv/dx

Then the rest is substitution.

No, [latex]y=vx[/latex] doesn’t work here. Did you find the integrating factor I told you to find earlier in the thread?

In other words, multiply the expression

[latex]2yy'-\frac2xy^2[/latex]

by a function [latex]u(x)[/latex] of [latex]x[/latex] only such that

[latex]u(x)\cdot2yy'-u(x)\frac2xy^2\,=\,\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx}\!\left(u(x)y^2\right)[/latex]

[latex]u(x)[/latex] is called an integrating factor. (Hint for finding it: Clearly you want [latex]u'=-\frac2xu[/latex].) When you’ve found [latex]u(x)[/latex], the substitution you require for the original problem should be obvious.

Edited by Nehushtan

Well, it looks like your substitution works perfectly after all. smile.png

I must have made a careless mistake and didn’t get the [latex]v^2x[/latex] to cancel, ending up by going through a slightly more complicated path to solve the ODE. Just as well you didn’t take my advice. tongue.png

Edited by Nehushtan