De Broglie-Bohm pilot wave theory

frazzle

Hello,

I'm currently part way through my physics degree, and I'm researching the De Broglie-Bohm pilot wave theory. So far, I understand the basic premise of the theory as follows. All atomic particles, for example electrons, possess a real position and velocity. The wavefunction also exists in the form of a ‘matter wave’ which acts to guide the motion of the particles in such a way that their statistical properties are exactly as predicted by quantum mechanics.

I understand that this it is a 'hidden variable' theory, and as such the underlying deterministic sub-structure is 'hidden', but I was wondering if anyone could help expand on a descriptive definition of the theory, as I am finding it difficult to find any information in between the extremely basic one-line definition and the mathematical proofs and expansions of some specific part of the theories.

Basically, I am finding reasearching the subject to be much harder than any of the other basic quantum ideas I've looked into, and would be grateful for any help and/or links.

Cheers!

cheers for the pointer.

after doing some more reading on the subject, the theory seems rather more reasonable than the copenhagen interpretation.

how is it that such an outlandish interpretation became 'standard' over a seemingly more sensible one?