1and1

kingjewel1

i've already seen the answer... YT posted it here yesterday i think, now its disappeared as has a lot of this thread... it something to with binary and the fact that the question was 1 and 1 not 1 plus 1.... 11 in binary is 3

then the question when does 2 plus 2 equal 3... or something like that (im not sure exactly) however it has all been deleted... we'd solved the 1 and 1 problem and there was a new one on the thread... dunno where it has all gone.

edit: read post below -- oh, ok, soz bout that!

I saw the same calamity (deleted posts) occur in a thread in another forum section earlier today, but they all returned unharmed in a short time afterwards. Maybe this thread's missing posts will return as well. Um, that was me, not YT2095, who offered the answer to when 1 and 1 equals 3; and me who asked when is 2 plus 2 equal to 3.

Afflicted by the loss of posts during server changes, the flow is lost. But here's my offering:

1 and 1 (not 1 plus 1) equals three in Base-2 notation, ie. a "1" and a "1" together looks like "11", which is binary for three. (But I like Kedas's answer better!)

Then I challenged, when does 2 plus 2 equal 3. Answer: when the addends are velocities expressed in units of space-hops per hour, where a "space-hop" equals 193,569,148.5 miles.

Yes, this riddle more rightly belongs in the Physics section, but I couldn't resist tacking it on to this similar ongoing thread. If a space craft is moving relative to Earth at 2 space-hops per hour, and another craft overtakes and passes the first one at +2 space-hops per hour... then that second craft is moving at 3 space-hops per hour relative to Earth. Simple arithmetic is unuseable when addends are velocities; that's an irrefutable fact.

in case you like some other, all numbers at the right of '=' are base 10

base 2: 11 = 3

base 3: 11 = 4

base 4: 11 = 5

base 5: 11 = 6

base 10: 11 = 11

base 3: 22 = 8

11=17 find the base :) (should be easy now)

I saw the same calamity (deleted posts) occur in a thread in another forum section earlier today, but they all returned unharmed in a short time afterwards. Maybe this thread's missing posts will return as well. Um, that was me, not YT2095, who offered the answer to when 1 and 1 equals 3; and me who asked when is 2 plus 2 equal to 3.

incorrect actualy, I stated mine as "in Boolean Algebra 1 AND 1 =1 and thus 3x 1. My mind isn`t in the gutter" (as the other post were about human replication prior to).

you THEN followed with your base 2 comment in the post after :)

not to worry tho, Memory isn`t a pre-requisite for a fine Physicist such as yourself :)