lepton/quark asymmetry with antimatter

1veedo

This has always puzzled me. Quarks come in fractions of 1/3 instead of -1 or +1 so it's hard to find one by itself. If one were to pull them apart, the energy put into fighting the string nuclear force would eventually cause it to 'snap.' The energy required to constitute such would have to be 2(E/cc) because the interaction creates two more quarks, I think? (weather or not the number is correct is kindof irrelevant)

In the early universe, pairs of matter and antimatter would annihilate and give their energy in the form of photons.

At the force splitting of the strong and electroweek, the symmetry was broken. For around every billion antimatter particles there was about billion and 1 matter particles. So for every ~billion photons there is one particle of matter. One electron for every proton because it's anti-partner acts in the same way quarks did.

So what I want to know is why. It has to do with the fact the photons loose the potential to create new matter particles as their energy is lost to the expanding universe / there is not enough energy floating around to split quark pairs or triplets (which is why the forces split; they stopped acting independently of each other with photons).

I know there is not a reason for the exact difference, but there has to be some uncertainty someware to create the asymmetry. Is it because at the force split, energy was given off in the form of photons to create quark pairs? (at whatever the number is) Or because of the energy giving off to the expanding universe used to constitute quark-anti-quark pairs in the form of photons are now lost? But neither takes into account electrons and I figure there would always be one electron per proton because of the explanation for the phenomena. Could it be that different amounts of energy are needed for leptons and quarks and the universe was cooling consistently for photons to do whatever they did for the same length of time at different energy levels? :confused:

I started a thread last month I called "Is the Universe Collapsing?" that in part dealt with matter/anti-matter's apparent lack of symmetry. The thread recieved almost as little attention as yours has; you might want to check it out.

aguy2