Magnetic attraction of hair

splishsplash1988

so i dont know if any of the terms i'm about to use are correct, but this is just something im randomly very curious about. Does hair have a magnetic field where it can be attracted if something has the right polarized charge. Or is there a way to charge a hair in order to magnitze it and attract it. Again no idea if im even using the right terms, just wondering if an object emits a certain field polar or magentic or electormagnetic whatever the right term is, if it will attract the hair to it. Any light shed on the matter would be appreciated, and sorry if everything i said really makes me sound stupid lol. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

No, hair does not have any ferromagnetic properties. However, it can hold a static charge as you surely have noticed when removing a wool sweater... or rubbing a balloon on your head...or touching a van degraff generator while shaking your head.

What are you trying to do?

By the way electric charges are not attracted or repelled by magnetic fields. Only moving charges, for example in the form of electron beams or a current in wires are affected by magnetic fields.

• 2 months later...

so i dont know if any of the terms i'm about to use are correct, but this is just something im randomly very curious about. Does hair have a magnetic field where it can be attracted if something has the right polarized charge. Or is there a way to charge a hair in order to magnitze it and attract it. Again no idea if im even using the right terms, just wondering if an object emits a certain field polar or magentic or electormagnetic whatever the right term is, if it will attract the hair to it. Any light shed on the matter would be appreciated, and sorry if everything i said really makes me sound stupid lol. Thanks.

Yes, hair does have such properties, and you can demonstrate them on a cold, dry day with a plastic comb.