what is anti gravity?

v4vicky

It's whatever you want it to be, from an escalator to the most powerful weapon in the Star Trek universe. Most people on Internet forums would probably argue that true anti-gravity has to be related to magnetism (that they don't understand, either - so the two things just have to be related, somehow).

To me it refers to situations in general relativity when gravity acts as a repulsive force. You can have such situations when exotic matter is present, for example.

However, I doubt this is what most internet forums would mean by anti-gravity.

what is anti gravity?

We have balloons. They go upwards, against the downward pull of gravity. They exhibit the essential quality - defying gravity.

Suppose an alien spaceship arrives at Earth. And hovers pretensiously over New York. The upward-peering citizenry exclaim in awe: "Oy Veh - these schmucks must have mind-boggling anti-grav technology! See - their ship stays suspended in mid-air already!"

Then President Obama, after due consultation with Joint Chiefs and the latest CIA Director, concludes - "Nah, it's just a big Zeppelin - send up a coupla F-16's and bring the m-fing gasbag down pronto - no problem."

What I'm getting at is, why isn't a balloon regarded as a real and present anti-gravity device? What does it lack?

What I'm getting at is, why isn't a balloon regarded as a real and present anti-gravity device? What does it lack?

What does it lack? Anti-gravity (which doesn't exist).

Balloons rise for the same reason boats float, which is buoyancy. Buoyancy is a consequence of gravity, not anti-gravity.