Cheap and / or disposable liquid level aid

Huess

Hi all,

I'm looking for a simple way to know when the liquid within a tank that we store waste chemicals in is at a certain level, so that we know when to empty it.

Has anyone used anything simple for this?

Thanks for your help!!

As I don't know what the material is, I'll make a suggestion and you can modify it as you will.

IN the days of steam railroads, the railroads would use a very simple system to determine the level of water in water tanks (especially in the desert where you didn't get much rain). A wooden float, attached to a lightweight chain, was placed in the water, and the other end was fed through a clear tube (usually glass). The side of the tube was marked to indicate water levels with the highest level being at the bottom of the tube. As the water level varied, the float would move up and down inside the tank, and the indicator on the outside would move as well, indicating the current levels.

A low tech solution, assuming you can do so safely, would be to drill a hole in the tank, and then replace the missing material with a plexiglass or lexan window. If you can see your liquid, empty the tank.