interesting question

r1dermon

"I'm looking for a way to calculate the optimum angle of attack for the blade of a monocopter. It seems there has to be a stall speed and hover speed, somewhere in between is the optimum.

Firstly, if there are any RC folks out there, I'm guessing there is a formula which will give a lift number to a laminar flow airfoil. This number would probably have to have adjustment based on wing length versus width (as an airfoil can have a similar square area, though one could be twice as long and as thin as another).

Secondly, all the factors would have to be involved which include (and I may leave something out)

Dry weight

Loaded weight

Cd (probably a constant for the most part)

Square area of the wing

Length of the wing

Maximum thrust spike

Minimum thrust

And from this could revolution be calculated? If Prof Graham's book has it hidden in the mix and I've missed it I'd appreciate a lesson."

this was taken from a different forum, but i was also interested, so i posted it here to see if there was any input. thanks for any responses.