Why I think the universe is an open system

kuhlzw

Howdy folks, first post here but I've been doing a lot of thinking about this subject and I wanted some input as to if/where there might be any holes in what I'm saying. I've tossed this around in my head a lot and I'm wondering if this even makes any sense.

There's, in my opinion, no way, shape, or form the universe is a "closed" system. Everything that you see in the universe is an open system. The planets are in solar systems, solar systems are in galaxies, and the galaxies are all clumped together in a universe. Many times I've heard the universe being referred to as a "vacuum" and that it's constantly expanding and new planets, stars, etc are constantly being added to it as it expands. Yes, there have been multiple things that I've read here that have stated that mass has disappeared because it's either gotten sucked into a black hole (which we don't understand yet, so for all we know black holes could lead into alternate universes via the multiverse theory), or that the mass is moving faster than the speed of light so therefore it can no longer be seen.

There are several things that I see wrong with what those things are saying, however. For one, we literally know nothing about black holes so for someone to state that their defense for the universe being a closed system is that black holes suck mass and spit it out in another part of the universe is purely conjecture. But also, saying that a black hole is a portal to another universe is also conjecture because nothing is known about black holes except that they eat literally everything they come into contact with, including light itself.

But back around to the point, I feel as if the universe is an open system because according to the constants in this universe, everything is contained in something. In the micro, and in the macro. I'll admit that I'm not much into researching the micro and it's something that's difficult for me to understand, so it's difficult for me to give examples in the micro. However, I can give examples in the macro. Like I said, planets are contained in solar systems, which are contained in galaxies, which is contained in a universe. So to me, it's very difficult to believe that that's where it all ends. That the universe is the complete and utter end all of all and that it's the absolute holder in everything we see, let's call it "reality" so it's easier to refer back to.

In this reality, like I stated before, the constant we see in this universe is that everything is contained in something. Why is it so difficult to believe that the universe is an open system and that it's contained in something else? Why is it difficult to believe that reality is built on a fabric of infinite systems, and that every one of those systems is open? It's difficult for the human mind to comprehend, sure, but I truly believe that people write off the universe as being a "closed system" because they wouldn't be able to comprehend it as an open system. Because let's face it, once we go to the edge of the universe, assuming there is one and that we could reach it (which I believe we couldn't for several reasons, one being that we would have to move faster than the universe is expanding and I don't see that truly being possible in this lifetime or the hundreds after), that's where the human imagination stops. That has been stated several times by several theoretical physicists and that's the explanation they give as to why people see the universe as a closed system. It's just easier to understand that way.

But think about it, if the universe was a closed system, how would it be able to expand? What would it be expanding into? How would we constantly have new things being added to the universe that's expanding if it couldn't expand into anything? That's where the human imagination stops and therefore that's where most people stop and say that it's closed, is because they cannot comprehend how it could be open and where it expands into so therefore it's easier to write it off as a closed system and leave it at that. I truly don't believe the universe is a closed system and I think that it's a very narrow minded thing to believe that it is closed.

Where I think it expands into? Well, that's where I don't know. All I'm here to try and prove is that it's open. Not what it opens into. However, I'm open to discussing what it could possibly open into because the possibilities there are literally endless and probably much greater than we could possibly imagine with our minds.

I just wanted to get that off my mind because I think it's important to state this opinion and I haven't seen a very strong argument for the universe being an open system.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and hopefully this makes some sense to someone. :)

Open message to Zako

Hi there and welcome to the forum

I think you tried to answer the above post, but instead of hitting the reply button which looks like this:

post-32514-0-92293000-1348337790_thumb.jpg

and is at the bottom right hand side of each message.

By mistake you have hit the report button:

post-32514-0-87960800-1348337845_thumb.jpg

The report button sends a private message to the staff of the forum. Try posting again using the "reply" button - Regards